Skip to main content

Topic: U300 Grand Villa Starter Battery Pictures? (Read 867 times) previous topic - next topic

U300 Grand Villa Starter Battery Pictures?
Anyone have pictures of the factory starter battery setup on a '90s U300 Grand Villa?

Currently I have a single 8D starter battery, but want to use that place in the frame for a third house battery. There are two other places in the frame where 3...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: U300 Grand Villa Starter Battery Pictures?
Reply #1
Mine are Three across the rear of the engine compartment, in front of the rear bumper. (3 x 34's) hooked in parallel. I will get a picture later this am.  ^.^d

Reply #2
Ours are also three across the back. I replaced the 34 series with 31 series as previously posted. It requires building a new tray. The cost for 34 or 31 will be about $300 at Autozone or other suppliers with 10 percent discount for the quantity....

Reply #3
Thanks Pierce! Do you also have a third 8D for the house bank in the engine compartment? There are a set of disconnected battery cables in mine that are tied to the house bank.

Reply #4
Chip,

I know your coach has a different battery setup than ours, but what do you see when you open the small storage bay doors behind the rear wheels on each side?  On our coach, on the driver side I have the two 8D house batteries.  On the other...

Reply #5
Thanks Pierce! Do you also have a third 8D for the house bank in the engine compartment? There are a set of disconnected battery cables in mine that are tied to the house bank.

Reply #6
Chip: This is the battery bay on our 1990 40ft GV. Start battery is the one on the far left. On my future project I plan to put the start battery on a new rack above the resonator ( plenty of room ) and put another 8D for the house. Going to do...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Anyone have pictures of the factory starter battery setup on a '90s U300 Grand Villa?
Here's one of our 95 40' 300. Must have just installed new batteries when this was taken.
jor

Reply #8
I've also have had a problem uploading photos today. Anyone else? I tried a couple of different browsers.

Pierce

Reply #9
I found some battery photos in my post regarding my 91 U300 Grand Villa. Hope it helps

you can clearly see how the cables are connected.

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Our 1993 40' U300 has three start batteries just forward of the rear bumper. They are wired in parallel by two cables, and then the entine cables attach to those. The house batteries are on the driver's side. They are two 8D batteries, one above...

Reply #11
They better be in parallel. :)  :)  :) 36 volts would sure cure slow cranking.

Pierce

Reply #12
Battery on the left is the engine battery. Battery on the middle and right are house battery.

You can start engine with just the battery on the left.

The wire gauge is 000.

Reply #13
Battery on the left is the engine battery. Battery on the middle and right are house battery.
You can start engine with just the battery on the left.The wire gauge is 000.
You can't...

• Andy 2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
You sure can start a Detroit with one start battery, I use one 1400 cc napa battery and it has worked for me for 5 years at alot of different elevations.

Reply #15
Andy,

Do you ever use the boost switch?

P

• Andy 2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Only when it's below 50 degrees, and I try not to start it without the block heater on for at least three hrs.

Reply #17
Pretty sure I'm wired up like Andy. ( pic attached ). Start battery is the one on the left side. Will be honest do not know the CCA. Batteries were replaced day I got the coach. Great story for another time. We were at William Kent Campground...

Reply #18
Only when it's below 50 degrees, and I try not to start it without the block heater on for at least three hrs.
Probably the difference as we don't have a block heater available when dry camping...

Reply #19
Pretty sure I'm wired up like Andy. ( pic attached ). Start battery is the one on the left side. Will be honest do not know the CCA. Batteries were replaced day I got the coach. Great story for...

Reply #20
Our 1993 40' U300 has three start batteries just forward of the rear bumper. They are wired in parallel by two cables, and then the entine cables attach to those. The house batteries are on the...

Reply #21
Odometer: rolling today and tomorrow. Will be setting down tomorrow at Lake Havasu AZ. Elks for 10 days, Will take a look and let you know.

Reply #22
Thanks everyone!

I ended up with the following config - 3 x Optima red top group 34 in parallel, and 3 x O'Reilly 8D AGMs (two in trays behind driver side rear wheel, and one as seen in engine bay).

In seeing everyone's pics, I think my setup is...

Reply #23
I may do a follow up post with settings for the Heart Interface charger and the Victron battery monitor once I get things dialed in.

I initially wanted to go lithium, but couldn't justify the expense. My battery bays are not enclosed at all, so...