Skip to main content
Topic: U300 Grand Villa Starter Battery Pictures? (Read 1322 times) previous topic - next topic

U300 Grand Villa Starter Battery Pictures?

Anyone have pictures of the factory starter battery setup on a '90s U300 Grand Villa?

Currently I have a single 8D starter battery, but want to use that place in the frame for a third house battery. There are two other places in the frame where 3 Group 34 batteries could go (maybe - need to measure). Would like to see how it looked from the factory.

Thanks in advance!
1994 Grand Villa U300 40' Build: 4396
6V92TA Detroit 350HP
Allison 4 Speed w/jake

Re: U300 Grand Villa Starter Battery Pictures?

Reply #1
Mine are Three across the rear of the engine compartment, in front of the rear bumper. (3 x 34's) hooked in parallel. I will get a picture later this am.  ^.^d
The selected media item is not currently available.
Gerry & Brenda
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, FL
1994 Grand Villa - # 4466
U300 Unihome - 6V92 Detroit
4 speed Allison - Jake Brake

Reply #2
Ours are also three across the back. I replaced the 34 series with 31 series as previously posted. It requires building a new tray. The cost for 34 or 31 will be about $300 at Autozone or other suppliers with 10 percent discount for the quantity. I did turn the 31 series around as the positive was too close to the hydraulic tank.

Here is my previous post: How to install group 31 batteries in your coach

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #3
Thanks Pierce! Do you also have a third 8D for the house bank in the engine compartment? There are a set of disconnected battery cables in mine that are tied to the house bank.
6V92TA Detroit 350HP
Allison 4 Speed w/jake

Reply #4
Chip,

I know your coach has a different battery setup than ours, but what do you see when you open the small storage bay doors behind the rear wheels on each side?  On our coach, on the driver side I have the two 8D house batteries.  On the other side, I have the rack that holds my start battery.  I am using a single 8D for a start battery and it fits perfect in the passenger side rack.

If your start batteries are currently mounted across the rear of the engine compartment in front of the bumper, you might have a empty battery rack in the passenger side bay behind the rear wheels.  If so, that could be the place to fit a third 8D house battery.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #5
Thanks Pierce! Do you also have a third 8D for the house bank in the engine compartment? There are a set of disconnected battery cables in mine that are tied to the house bank.
No, your 40 footer has a different battery layout compared to our 36 footer. Ours came with two dead 8D batteries in the driver's side open battery compartment close to the rear wheels. I modified it to take the 6 solar batteries we have now. The racks are one ab ove the other.

Ken and others have 40 foot U300 so they would be the ones to compare your layout to and Chuck's U280 will probably be like yours too.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #6
Chip: This is the battery bay on our 1990 40ft GV. Start battery is the one on the far left. On my future project I plan to put the start battery on a new rack above the resonator ( plenty of room ) and put another 8D for the house. Going to do that same time I put up new , more efficient solar panels.

Chip: For some reason I can't get the pics to link up to this post. If you send me your email i'll send them direct.
Steve
The Starship- 1990 Grandvilla Unihome U300 40ft
6V92 Detroit Diesel w/ 4 spd Allison w/ retarder. Build# 3575 , Foretravel# 17895
The Shuttlecraft- 2015 Ford Explorer
Steve ( N6EKV ) & Lori ( N6JTD ) Faries  w/ Marlee our precious pup.
Patterson CA.

Reply #7
Anyone have pictures of the factory starter battery setup on a '90s U300 Grand Villa?
Here's one of our 95 40' 300. Must have just installed new batteries when this was taken.
jor

Reply #8
I've also have had a problem uploading photos today. Anyone else? I tried a couple of different browsers.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #9
I found some battery photos in my post regarding my 91 U300 Grand Villa. Hope it helps

you can clearly see how the cables are connected.
1991 Grand Villa U300

Reply #10
Our 1993 40' U300 has three start batteries just forward of the rear bumper. They are wired in parallel by two cables, and then the entine cables attach to those. The house batteries are on the driver's side. They are two 8D batteries, one above the other, and also wired in parallel.

Reply #11
They better be in parallel. :)  :)  :) 36 volts would sure cure slow cranking.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #12
Battery on the left is the engine battery. Battery on the middle and right are house battery.

You can start engine with just the battery on the left.

The wire gauge is 000.
1991 Grand Villa U300

Reply #13
Battery on the left is the engine battery. Battery on the middle and right are house battery.
You can start engine with just the battery on the left.The wire gauge is 000.
You can't start a Detroit 2 cycle reliably with one 8D and altitude and winter is a no go. We had to use two 8Ds on the fire dept with our Detroits. And that's at sea level in SoCal.  That's why Foretravel put three 34 series in a U300 as OEM.

Three good 34 series batteries will total about 2400 CCA but for about the same $$, I went with 31 series totaling 2850 CCA

You can never have too many CCA as with age, poor winter storage maintenance, etc., those CCA will be less.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #14
You sure can start a Detroit with one start battery, I use one 1400 cc napa battery and it has worked for me for 5 years at alot of different elevations.
Andy & Eileen
Riverton Wyoming
1992 U300  40' 6V92 TA
2007 Honda CRV
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee) Build # 4135 Skp# 122921

Reply #15
Andy,

Do you ever use the boost switch?

P
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #16
Only when it's below 50 degrees, and I try not to start it without the block heater on for at least three hrs.
Andy & Eileen
Riverton Wyoming
1992 U300  40' 6V92 TA
2007 Honda CRV
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee) Build # 4135 Skp# 122921

Reply #17
Pretty sure I'm wired up like Andy. ( pic attached ). Start battery is the one on the left side. Will be honest do not know the CCA. Batteries were replaced day I got the coach. Great story for another time. We were at William Kent Campground Tahoe, nighttime temps high 30's. There a week, no block heater, hit the start for about 10 seconds a she fired off. Ran real rough and laid down quite the smoke screen for about 30 seconds but evened out and away we went. Never have used the combiner switch, at least to start the coach.
6V92 Detroit Diesel w/ 4 spd Allison w/ retarder. Build# 3575 , Foretravel# 17895
Patterson CA.

Reply #18
Only when it's below 50 degrees, and I try not to start it without the block heater on for at least three hrs.
Probably the difference as we don't have a block heater available when dry camping and it's frequently freezing overnight. I don't use the boost switch but it usually takes several attempts. If it's cold enough, I use ether. Usually a cylinder will fire right away but not enough to keep running. I usually repeat this a few times and then it produces a huge cloud of smoke before the last cylinder fires and the smoke clears. This is normally at June Lake or somewhere in the Sierras and at 8000 feet.  My little propane block heater is installed but not plumbed yet. You can see why I like my three 31s.

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #19
Pretty sure I'm wired up like Andy. ( pic attached ). Start battery is the one on the left side. Will be honest do not know the CCA. Batteries were replaced day I got the coach. Great story for another time. We were at William Kent Campground Tahoe, nighttime temps high 30's. There a week, no block heater, hit the start for about 10 seconds a she fired off. Ran real rough and laid down quite the smoke screen for about 30 seconds but evened out and away we went. Never have used the combiner switch, at least to start the coach.
Your battery picture is very small. Can't see much detail. But looks like same wiring as mine.

It seems to me that the wire on the negative post is thinner than the wire on the positive post, is it true?
Can you use different wire for positive and negative?
1991 Grand Villa U300

Reply #20
Our 1993 40' U300 has three start batteries just forward of the rear bumper. They are wired in parallel by two cables, and then the entine cables attach to those. The house batteries are on the driver's side. They are two 8D batteries, one above the other, and also wired in parallel.

My setup is the same as David and Pierce's.  I use three Optima Blue tops (AGM) BLUETOP® Batteries - Best Marine & RV Battery | OPTIMA Batteries for the starter and two Interstate HD-XHD's (wet cell)  Interstate Batteries | 8D-XHD for the House.

Jerry

The selected media item is not currently available.
Jerry and Cindy Maddux
1993 U300/36WTBI DD6v92TA
build 4271  "Miss Lou"
1995 suzuki sidekick 4x4 toad
Gulfport, Ms

"Pride of Ownership"

Reply #21
Odometer: rolling today and tomorrow. Will be setting down tomorrow at Lake Havasu AZ. Elks for 10 days, Will take a look and let you know.
Patterson CA.

Reply #22
Thanks everyone!

I ended up with the following config - 3 x Optima red top group 34 in parallel, and 3 x O'Reilly 8D AGMs (two in trays behind driver side rear wheel, and one as seen in engine bay).

In seeing everyone's pics, I think my setup is not common with the battery frame in the engine compartment.

The three starter battery "trays" in the frame were definitely sized for red tops initially. Not quite large enough for any other type of Group 34. We are full time on the road now, so modifying the battery tray/frame wasn't something I wanted to tackle.

I'm certain this was the configuration from the original build. I used new military style terminals and pre-fabricated 4/0 battery cables from amazon for my parallel connections on the new starter batteries. I still have a little wire management to do tomorrow.

O'Reillys gave me $25 off each red top and $50 each 8D.
6V92TA Detroit 350HP
Allison 4 Speed w/jake

Reply #23
I may do a follow up post with settings for the Heart Interface charger and the Victron battery monitor once I get things dialed in.

I initially wanted to go lithium, but couldn't justify the expense. My battery bays are not enclosed at all, so there would have been a significant project to enclose or relocate the battery bank (you can't charge lithium's below 40 deg F unless you can heat the cells first), replace the inverter/charger with one to do the right charging profile, and then the batteries themselves. I estimated 400ah of lithium would have cost at least $6500 once you figure for the other expenses. Plus 20+ hrs on the project.

With the new AGM setup, I have 750ah, with 50% usable for a net of 375ah. Total spend was 3 hours and $2k (including new starter batteries). Folks at O'Reilly's helped me lift the one 8D over the bumper and into the engine bay. That was MUCH appreciated! I'd still like to upgrade the inverter/charger but I don't HAVE to right now. The charge profile settings are within the specs from Deka.
6V92TA Detroit 350HP
Allison 4 Speed w/jake