Skip to main content
Topic: Here's your sign (Read 825 times) previous topic - next topic

Here's your sign

When comedian Bill Engval sees somebody do something stupid he rewards them with a sign telling them so. Got mine.

Had the coach 3 years and have always had difficulty filling it with oil. Neck too short and a terrible angle. At last oil change I was helping the young man trying to fill with oil and as usual what a mess. Grizzled veteran mechanic comes up behind us, informs us we were morons, grasped the fill tube and pulled on it. VOILA. Fill tube slides out of it's sleeve and rotates for easy fill.
As always, nothing so awesome as ignorance in action.
The Starship- 1990 Grandvilla Unihome U300 40ft
6V92 Detroit Diesel w/ 4 spd Allison w/ retarder. Build# 3575 , Foretravel# 17895
The Shuttlecraft- 2015 Ford Explorer
Steve ( N6EKV ) & Lori ( N6JTD ) Faries  w/ Marlee our precious pup.
Patterson CA.

Re: Here's your sign

Reply #1
But, since there is no real owner's manual that comes with our coaches, it's left for discovery. Ignorance in action was 31 years ago.

Pierce

Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #2
Nice of him to show you while it could still make a difference though!
Even nicer of you to share it with us other clue challenged new users too. ^.^d
1998 U295 36'
Build# 5358

SMILE!....it makes people wonder what you have been doing.

Reply #3
 On my U280 the clue I had was the previous owner hung a appropriate size nut driver from a cord on the pipe to deal with the hose clamp.
Doug W.
96 36' U270 CSGI #4946
04 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
PNW

Reply #4
In your defense the pull out spout isn't something that jumps out at a guy.. My first was on some diesel truck years back so everyone has their first.. That doesn't make anyone slow by any means just haven't seen it before. Sure makes adding oil less messy doesn't it.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #5
In your defense the pull out spout isn't something that jumps out at a guy.. My first was on some diesel truck years back

Like cabover freightliners with Detroit engines...daily chore.
Doug W.
96 36' U270 CSGI #4946
04 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
PNW

Reply #6
I used to just dump a gallon in the old V12 every 3K. And keep on buzzin
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #7
That reminded me the first pull out spout I had was on a cab over truck.. It's certainly been a lot of years and a lot of different equipment.The spout was under a flap door by the radiator. Forgot some things along the way. Been a lot of years since I had a cab over, I think that ride was what pounded my disk to Smithers. Oh well it was meant to be because it seems I was born to burn diesel. Family tradition.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #8
That reminded me the first pull out spout I had was on a cab over truck.. It's certainly been a lot of years and a lot of different equipment.The spout was under a flap door by the radiator. Forgot some things along the way. Been a lot of years since I had a cab over, I think that ride was what pounded my disk to Smithers. Oh well it was meant to be because it seems I was born to burn diesel. Family tradition.

Doug W.
96 36' U270 CSGI #4946
04 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
PNW

Reply #9
Spot on Doug
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #10
And some older Newells with 6 and 8V92 DD's had a separate oil tank with a metered pump to add oil.  Just dial in a quart or 2 and pump it in!  I like my Cummins that doesn't burn or drip any oil.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #11
I've had a number of young men look at trucks on my yard and ask which truck and engine I like best.. Cats Cummins and Detroit's. My answer has always been the same..Which ever one didn't cost me over 20k in repairs the past year is the one I currently like the best..That opinion usually changed quarterly. I've made and lost considerable money on the lot of them.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #12
And some older Newells with 6 and 8V92 DD's had a separate oil tank with a metered pump to add oil.  Just dial in a quart or 2 and pump it in!  I like my Cummins that doesn't burn or drip any oil.
We put on over 6,000 miles, California to Hilton Head Island and back using about 2.5 quarts. This is from a oil change at the start with the dip stick exactly on the full mark. Also less than our cars use. Don't know where is oil use myth is coming from unless the engines are high mileage. My 4107 Buffalo Bus didn't use any more than this with a 8-71 Detroit.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #13
The factory specs on my 3206 engine that was in my loaders allowed 1 gal. per 8 hrs running time before needing rebuild.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean