Skip to main content
Topic: Generator not charging (Read 891 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator not charging

Was charging up the batteries when the transfer switch started switching on and off, on and off and then it quit. Looks like I'm not
getting anything out of the generator. Switch the generator circuit breaker on and off and still nothing. Looks like I will have to go
home and trouble shoot it unless some one has had this happen and knows a quit fix.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Re: Generator not charging

Reply #1
I would start by checking for voltage from the generator to the transfer sw. no voltage generator issues, voltage in no voltage out bad transfer sw. When my transfer switch failed I put a Bluesea manual sw in.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #2
Where are you now,maybe near one of us.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #3
oldguy,

A quick check of the remote fan will lead as to where to look next most of the time.  If the remote fan is running when the generator is running then look to the transfer switch. If the fan isn't running look to the generator for your trouble. The fan is powered right off the generator through the breakers on the face of the generator control box.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #4
No power into the transfer switch. The cooling fan isn't running so I will ski this morning and then go home.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #5
Check the breakers on the front of the generator. When mine did that it was the voltage regulator. A call to Jeff at Power tech generator, he will walk you through the trouble shooting.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19

Reply #6
I'm home and it's pouring with rain so I will wait until it drys up a bit. I will get the cover off so I can check the breaker. And then I
will phone Jeff.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #7
Got into the box where the breaker is and I found a wire had pulled out of the connector. Fixed that and the generator puts out
but the only around 98 volts and the transfer switch is pulling in and out again. So I had two problems, first low voltage and then
the wire pulled out of the connector. With the wire out of the connector the cooling fan wouldn't operate and now it is working
again. I have a call into Jeff and waiting for a call back. As Bruce said it's probably the voltage regulator. At least it isn't raining.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #8
Got hold of Jeff and then ordered a new voltage regulator. Will be shipped out tomorrow.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #9
Be sure to talk with Jeff at PT about correct wireing for the new voltage regulator. Some are not wired the same s as the old one. Don't let the smoke get out of anything😬
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19

Reply #10
Thanks Bruce I will do that.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #11
oldguy,

Could you post the wiring diagram to your voltage regulator so I can look it over and compare it  to the one that Craneman posted when he had generator problems a couple of years ago. 

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #12
The new voltage regulator arrived this afternoon and looking at the prints and trying to figger out how to wire in the new one
I found another wire pulled out of a butt connector, replaced the butt connector and the generator charging fine. That was two
butt connectors that had failed. Both of them had not enough insulation stripped back and so they weren't in the butt connector
far enough and that is why they failed. I will phone Jeff again as my generator isn't wired the same as the wiring diagram that they
sent me and also the one in my manual.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #13
as my generator isn't wired the same as the wiring diagram that they
sent me and also the one in my manual.
Definitely call and thoroughly understand how to wire the regulator.  The replacement regulators are not identical to the original ones and you can seriously damage the generator in a heartbeat if it is wired incorrectly.  Please don't ask me how I know this. 

Richard

Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #14
Here is what happened when I copied the old wiring with a new regulator.

How not to change voltage regulator in genset
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #15
I believe they sent me the wrong regulator as this one's input is 190-240 Vac and I have a 120 volt generator and reading the
specs this one is for a brushless generator and I have brushes. At least the old one is working fine now that I found the failed
connector. Both legs of the generator are tied together at the breaker and that is not shown in the wiring diagram.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #16
This morning I was putting the cover back on the transfer switch and I thought maybe it would be a good idea to check the
torque on the screws that hold the wires in place and I'm glad I did. They all need a little snug and two were loose, and that would have been a breakdown down the road someday. It was the generator one that was loose, the hydro was fine. 
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436