Skip to main content

Topic: Generator not charging (Read 693 times) previous topic - next topic

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Generator not charging
Was charging up the batteries when the transfer switch started switching on and off, on and off and then it quit. Looks like I'm not
getting anything out of the generator. Switch the generator circuit breaker on and off and still nothing. Looks...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Generator not charging
Reply #1
I would start by checking for voltage from the generator to the transfer sw. no voltage generator issues, voltage in no voltage out bad transfer sw. When my transfer switch failed I put a Bluesea manual sw in.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Where are you now,maybe near one of us.

Reply #3
oldguy,

A quick check of the remote fan will lead as to where to look next most of the time.  If the remote fan is running when the generator is running then look to the transfer switch. If the fan isn't running look to the generator for your...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
No power into the transfer switch. The cooling fan isn't running so I will ski this morning and then go home.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Check the breakers on the front of the generator. When mine did that it was the voltage regulator. A call to Jeff at Power tech generator, he will walk you through the trouble shooting.

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I'm home and it's pouring with rain so I will wait until it drys up a bit. I will get the cover off so I can check the breaker. And then I
will phone Jeff.

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Got into the box where the breaker is and I found a wire had pulled out of the connector. Fixed that and the generator puts out
but the only around 98 volts and the transfer switch is pulling in and out again. So I had two problems, first low...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Got hold of Jeff and then ordered a new voltage regulator. Will be shipped out tomorrow.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Be sure to talk with Jeff at PT about correct wireing for the new voltage regulator. Some are not wired the same s as the old one. Don't let the smoke get out of anything😬

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Thanks Bruce I will do that.

Reply #11
oldguy,

Could you post the wiring diagram to your voltage regulator so I can look it over and compare it  to the one that Craneman posted when he had generator problems a couple of years ago.  

Mike

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
The new voltage regulator arrived this afternoon and looking at the prints and trying to figger out how to wire in the new one
I found another wire pulled out of a butt connector, replaced the butt connector and the generator charging fine. That...

Reply #13
as my generator isn't wired the same as the wiring diagram that they
sent me and also the one in my manual.
Definitely call and thoroughly understand how to wire the regulator.  The replacement...

Reply #14
Here is what happened when I copied the old wiring with a new regulator.

How not to change voltage regulator in genset

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
I believe they sent me the wrong regulator as this one's input is 190-240 Vac and I have a 120 volt generator and reading the
specs this one is for a brushless generator and I have brushes. At least the old one is working fine now that I found...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
This morning I was putting the cover back on the transfer switch and I thought maybe it would be a good idea to check the
torque on the screws that hold the wires in place and I'm glad I did. They all need a little snug and two were loose, and...