Skip to main content
Topic: Air Intake Water Deflector 89 GV 3208 Cat  (Read 528 times) previous topic - next topic

Air Intake Water Deflector 89 GV 3208 Cat

Is there an air filter water deflector available for my coach? It is a side intake rear radiator 3208T Cat. Thanks to all in advance!!!
1989 Grand Villa 3600  Our "Furevertravel",  "Ole Furry" for short.....
Cat 3208T  250 HP
Allison MT-643
36SBIORED
Motorcade Number  18541
Build # 3388
2014 Ford F-150 flat towed (My Bride wants "her" MKX in the garage)
Big John, my Bride Miss Mary Lou, and Buddy, Robbi, Gizzy, and Mack ( our furry kids)

Re: Air Intake Water Deflector 89 GV 3208 Cat

Reply #1
Donaldson Precleaner
Donaldson  Precleaner removes 80% of water in inlet air system
They make them for vertical and horizontal installations.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #2
Thanks, Scott. Really appreciate it....
Cat 3208T  250 HP
Allison MT-643
36SBIORED
Motorcade Number  18541
Build # 3388
Big John, my Bride Miss Mary Lou, and Buddy, Robbi, Gizzy, and Mack ( our furry kids)

Reply #3
Some years ago I posted a picture/article about a filter assembly that I built for my 91 GV 3208T with side radiator and air intake like yours.  I still have the same filter element that I replaced new at that time and it is doing well.  The filter that I built and installed does a great job of filtering out water and debris. If you can't find it, let me know and I can send you a picture or two.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #4
Hydraulic fan motor with small leak
All I could find, don't need, just curious to see what you did.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #5
The stock air box seems to do a good job . The intake is high, up to the top of the grate and the filter can has a swirlly thing and water duck bill on the bottom .  I have never had issues.

Reply #6
I have never had an issue, but my side radiator tends to blow hot air into the engine and filter compartment. Your Rear radiator may be sucking air and heavily laden mists into your air filter compartment due to the velocities created by your huge cooling fan. If you prevent the radiator fan from drawing air into the filter compartment the velocities that carry heavy mists will disappear. At one time it appears my air filter compartment may have been closed off from the engine compartment by a sheet metal shroud, which I plan to add one back.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #7
With the filter located low behind the duals, it gets a lot of road wash and plugs up easily.  I doubt that the cooling fan affects that much since it is not running much, if any, when driving in the rain.  The thermostats keep it cool by themselves.  I like the added filtration and it is so much easier to remove and clean, not to mention how much cheaper it is.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz 
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #8
We have a nylon fan on the engine side of our rear radiator and two large fans on the bumper side. Our air filter intake duct is right up against the louvered door on the driver's side.
Yet we have had zero problems with water in the filter.
Is it possibly because we try not to drive in the rain? Or is the water problem typical of all side air intake GVs?
I do have "mudflaps" behind the duals and now a short width rear flap that is only the width of the frame rails and up about 8"-10" off the road.
I put it on just to cover up all the "stuff" hanging down under the coach, like the large caster wheels mounted on the bottom of the frame rails.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #9
I think in retrospect that on our coach, with the big intake shroud up high and being very close to the louvered door, water would have a very hard time getting in. Also, the way the filter is designed and with the water drain in the bottom of the filter housing, any water getting in would drain out. The Donaldson filter and housing design makes it mostly bullet proof. I plan on watching it closely and changing it according to the service recommendations in my Service Manual. If it gets dirty sooner, then it will get swapped out sooner. Thanks again for all the great input!
Cat 3208T  250 HP
Allison MT-643
36SBIORED
Motorcade Number  18541
Build # 3388