Skip to main content
Topic: Wire Protruding from Closet Slide (Read 500 times) previous topic - next topic

Wire Protruding from Closet Slide

On a walk-around prior to travel ~ a week ago I noticed an errant wire protruding from the top of my closet slide (see pictures).  I haven't put the slide out since discovering the protruding wire.  I think the wire is for the closet lights, but it could also be for the safety switch.  Any ideas how to fix this problem?
David & Sherry Kendrick
"Gizmo" The Doggy Lama
USAF(Ret) 1971-75; 1979-95 (20 yrs)
2003 U320 F03 [6179] 38PBDS (3/2016)
2016 Chev Silverado Z71 LTZ
Motorcade 17738
--------------------------------------
New Horizons 5W 25' RKS (1/2004 - 3/2016)
2003 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Tent (5-person) White Stag (1972 - 2003)

Re: Wire Protruding from Closet Slide

Reply #1
My "armchair mechanic" suggestion:

Open the slide, get up there on a ladder and figure out where the wire is supposed to be secured, and stick it back in place.

I don't see any other way to address the problem.  But, of course, I'm not there looking at it in person.  Take it for what it's worth.

Another thought: Can you access the top of the slide from inside the coach?  That might work, but you'll still need to put the slide out to release the wire from where it's trapped.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
If you can reach the top inside, I'd deflate the bladder, pull the wire back inside and secure it before trying to extend the slide.  You may have to take off some trim pieces.  We do not have a closet slide so don't know how the are configured.

Is the electrical in the slide currently working?  Looks like a 12V wire, probably for lights.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #3
Thanks for the suggestions.  Eric at MOT said I could deflate the closet slide seal by turning the slide key ON.  Then try to push the wires from the outside in past the seal.  Then inflate the seal by turning the key OFF.  If need be I can partially extend the slide and finish pushing the wires in.  I can't access the wires from the inside unless I remove the closet trim which requires the slide be extended since the trim butts up against the bed when retracted.
David & Sherry Kendrick
"Gizmo" The Doggy Lama
USAF(Ret) 1971-75; 1979-95 (20 yrs)
2003 U320 F03 [6179] 38PBDS (3/2016)
2016 Chev Silverado Z71 LTZ
Motorcade 17738
--------------------------------------
New Horizons 5W 25' RKS (1/2004 - 3/2016)
2003 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Tent (5-person) White Stag (1972 - 2003)

Reply #4
The wires on top of the slideout are held in place above the slideout opening with nylon cable clamps.  When they were installed at FT during the build a screw gun was used, often times driving the screw head almost through the clamp, weakening the screw hole.  And at some point over the years the clamp has become partly detached allowing the wires to fall.

Some plumber's galvanized pipe hanger strap can be used to resecure the wires permanently.
If even a small wire gets stuck under the bladder and it rains you will have a real problem with water intrusion.

The slide should be extended and the inside trim removed to gain access to the wiring and clamps.

Reply #6
You'll need assorted sizes as some wire bundles are bigger.

Reply #7
Looking back at the photos, I see a slide awning. Also see what appears to be "moe hair" that the wire conduit is protruding through. I am not sure, but does the slide have a wiper seal as well? Since plastic conduit got pushed beyond slide, is something else now damaged and will need fixed?
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree