Skip to main content
Topic: '91 U280 Brake Treadle Part Number? (Read 359 times) previous topic - next topic

'91 U280 Brake Treadle Part Number?

Finally back working on the coach after over a year, and I am still chasing air leaks.  The current culprit seems to be the brake treadle valve.  The manual shows both the Bendix E-6 and E-10.  Which one is actually in this thing?  I would rather order the parts in without taking it apart first, so as not to immobilize it any longer that needed.  Is this something I can just put a kit in like the throttle or parking brake valve (already did those) or is this something that should be replaced as an assembly?  I have tried searching the forum but either the info isn't here or I am searching for it wrong.

Thanks,
Mike & Lilli
1991 GV U280 36' SBI, 3208 Cat, Build #3825
2950 Watts Solar
Kansas City, MO

Re: '91 U280 Brake Treadle Part Number?

Reply #1
I did a search on "brake treadle valve" for the entire forum and there were two full pages of discussions for results. Have you looked at those first?
Future Foretravel Owners
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Retired USAF, Retired DOD Civ's
FAA A&P, Indust. Eng., Acft Depot Lvl. Maint.
Larry and Becky Rountree

Reply #2
The current culprit seems to be the brake treadle valve.  The manual shows both the Bendix E-6 and E-10.  Which one is actually in this thing?
Mike,

I can't recall reading any report by a member replacing the brake treadle valve.  I did a search of the Forum using every combination of key words I could think of, and didn't turn up any reference to a part number.  I think you probably have two choices:

1.  Call the factory parts desk and ask them for a replacement part number.

2.  Remove the valve and see if it has a part number on it.  If not, take it to a NAPA dealer and see if they can match it up. 
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #3
There are a lot of references in the forum  to the "brake treadle valve" but none specify the model or part number.  I guess I am going to have to stop being lazy and pull it off and look at it.  I am sure it is probably an E10.  Since rebuild kits are available I might as well tear it down and see how complicated it is.  Worse case scenario I end up ordering a complete assembly rather than a kit.
Mike & Lilli
2950 Watts Solar
Kansas City, MO

Reply #4
Can you just look at the exposed parts of the valve above and below the floor, and compare to the photos in the tech sheets?

Might be able to pin down the correct valve by visual reference.

BENDIX E-10 DUAL BRAKE VALVES MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #5
Well I got under and looked and it does seem to be an E10, however replacing or rebuilding it would not have resolved the problem.  The valve isn't leaking.  The actual air leak is one of the low pressure switches Bendix LP3 228750 60 psi.  I thought maybe there might be a fitting leak and I sprayed soapy water on everything and that switch was blowing huge bubbles.  That seems to be a very common switch, lots of cheap knockoff ones from about $10, but a real Bendix (made in Mexico?) unit is only $25 on eBay, so I have one ordered.  Looks like a pretty easy fix.
Mike & Lilli
2950 Watts Solar
Kansas City, MO