Skip to main content

Topic: Steering Gear Centering (Read 395 times) previous topic - next topic

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Steering Gear Centering
I have a question on centering the steering gear. I had a Redhead unit installed a couple of months back in Nacogdoches. Just a preemptive action as the old one wasn't yet leaking. Anyhow, on the drive back home I noticed an ever so slight...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Steering Gear Centering
Reply #1
When mine was pulling to the right after Alaska, and alignment didn't help, my mechanic fixed it by centering the steering wheel. I marked where to hold the wheel to go straight, and he loosened and repositioned the steering column. All fixed now.

Reply #2
Centering the wheel doesn't affect pulling. Only controls where the wheel is located when going straight. It is difficult to find a uncrowned road to see if it really pulling.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
It is difficult to find a uncrowned road to see if it really pulling.
Yea, I kept wondering if it was my imagination. Of the four I've had this is the best handling and I've always enjoyed driving it. It just seemed that before the change it...

Reply #4
When I am not sure if I have a pull to the right, I go to a straight two lane road with a slight crown in the center and drive in the oncoming lane, of it still pulls to the right it is in need of repair.

Reply #5
I assume you don't have any kind of steering stabilizer installed?  If not, and this slight pull started after the...ahem.....if  it ain't broke...Redhead steering gear, it would seem there is the possibility of an internal problem with the...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I assume you don't have any kind of steering stabilizer installed?
if  it ain't broke...Redhead steering gear,
there must be a null spot in the gear when no input is being provided. Maybe a knowledgeable gearhead can comment.
Or maybe tire issue.

No...

Reply #7
If you suspect "tire pull", just rotate the front tires L-R.  If the pull is to the other side, it is a tire pull.  If no change, something else.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Sounds like a good idea (swapping tires). Anyhow, I'll have BTA do that when I stop by there in a few weeks. Of course, there's always the possibility that it's not really pulling at all. Like I said, it is very slight. One member posited that...