Skip to main content
Topic: Broken wiper shaft. (Read 788 times) previous topic - next topic

Broken wiper shaft.

The shaft that goes through the front of the coach broke off the arm under the
dash. I can feel both ends but I don't know how to remove the arm from the arm
from the motor. Any one know an easy way to get in there. Luckily it's the passengers
wiper so I can keep going.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Re: Broken wiper shaft.

Reply #1
I'm sorry you have gotten no responses.  I guess the short answer is there is no easy way to get to the shaft.  You'll have to remove the dash, which has several layers, and probably cut a hole in the plywood base to get access. 
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #2
I just saw this post and yes, in order to gain access, you have to remove the dash top.  Take off the half circle part that goes over your instrument panel and remove it out of your way.  Next is the grab handle at the door to help in entrance and then the trim that the handle attaches to.  You will need to remove the kick plate to access those screws and open the door to get the last one.  Then on top of the large vinyl you will see the deflector vents.  You most likely will need to remove the one screw closest to the window in the middle, as that was the only one that was holding the dash from lifting up,  and the dash is velcro on.  Both of the vertical posts will need to be removed on each end as well, to have the ability to lift the dash up and away.  You will then see the metal diffuser box that directs the air up through the vents.  This will have to be removed and you need to have a long extension for the square head screws that hold it in place.  You will also need to remove the flex vent attached to this diffuser on the left side from under the dash.  Then get a jig saw and being careful, enlarge the opening over the motor itself,  to allow easier access ( not the diffuser opening).  Check both the splines on the motor and the cerated ones on the short arm that attaches to the motor and the two blades.  Don't ask me how I know!  Take your time and all will come apart and allow you to do the repair.  All goes back in reverse.  You will need a screw gun, phillips, square head, long extension, half inch open/box and patience!  I have taken ours apart 6 times now.  UGH!
Good luck and you will be glad $ to do this yourself!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #3
Why so many times?
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4

The wipers with the new motor still was not working properly and that was adjusted at least 4 times, not counting the take apart on the road when we first lost our wipers during a snow storm.  Let's just say, I got good at this R&R!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #5
I had to replace wiper posts once, and I found that the circuit breaker panel can be removed without disconnecting the wiring and swung out of the way.  It was only fastened with about 4 screws.  Best to disconnect shore power and batteries.  I did not have to saw any holes after removing the padded dash cover held in place with velcro.  Your coach may be a little different.
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Reply #6
Got the wiper fixed this morning. I was lucky the hole was already cut to get at the wiper motor. Pulled the wiper drive arms out,
both wiper drive arms are all hooked together so it took a bit of maneuvering to get it out. Drilled the old weld out, first picture,
line up the shaft, second picture and welded the shaft back in, third picture. The wipers are all back in and working great. Will put
the dash and all the trim back together this afternoon.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #7
old guy what did you make the shaft out of? inquiring  minds!!!
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #8
I rewelded the original shaft back in. I can't believe that it didn't fall apart sooner as the shaft has been loose for over a year.
The right wiper has been gong too far to the right and didn't run very smooth. Now it works the way it is supposed to.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #9
Good looking repair. I couldn't imagine not having the ability to weld.
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #10
Took off last night and the wiper work perfectly for about ten minutes and then the left one started going too far in both directions.
That is what broke the shaft out of the plate. I guess I will have to get back in to see what it is.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436

Reply #11
Well it finally broke again a couple of weeks ago. What I think happens is the outside
of the weld lets go and the wiper shaft bends in the weld and that is where the play is.
I have rewelded it concentrating on the outside of the shaft and finishing in the middle.
Now I will see it I have got it. I expected to give it a real test last night but it quit raining
before I let for Whistler.
Peter and Frieda Morin
Build # 5436