Skip to main content

Topic: Lower power (Read 693 times) previous topic - next topic

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Lower power
The coach doesn't seem to pull as hard this winter from last. What is the expected turbo boost. I'm  getting 24 lbs. boost.

Re: Lower power
Reply #1
The coach doesn't seem to pull as hard this winter from last. What is the expected turbo boost. I'm  getting 24 lbs. boost.
CAT, Cummins or Detroit, 24 lbs should do you well for power. I think...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Think I was making 28-29 lbs of boost as I recall. Plan to take it out tomorrow I'll double check.
Scott

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Scott I think I was getting that also. Let me know for sure and then I will see what's causing it. Pierce don't want it to be the CAC
I had one rebuilt on my Dynasty. Fuel filters would be the best or and air filter.

Reply #4
Usually, a filter that is starting to clog will show up first by limiting the fuel and power the engine produces. This in turn reduces the exhaust flow through the turbo and limits the boost. This typically shows up on grades or going up an on...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Donaldson fuel minder fuel filter restriction gauge. Shows filter restriction.
Racor RK32037 FILTER SERVICE INDICATOR-1/8"
Scott

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
OAT about 70 deg 29 lbs

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Thanks Scott I thought I had seen it up there before. On the way back to day it went about 25 lbs when engine was cold and after
engine got hot it was lower. I will check it out tomorrow and it won't hurt to change fuel filters. I might put a fuel...

Reply #8
Thanks Scott I thought I had seen it up there before. On the way back to day it went about 25 lbs when engine was cold and after
engine got hot it was lower. I will check it out tomorrow and it...

Reply #9
There was a post on this site that talked about how the air filter minder had gone bad and was still showing the filter good.  My suggestion is to change the air filter first.  At least you then know that is not the problem. If still a problem...

Reply #10
Air filter minders are EASY to check:

Remove the hose that goes to the filter minder (the pipe between the filter to turbo) and suck on it.  That should peg it in the red and stay there until you reset it.  Push the reset button.

Only other issue...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
How old is the air filter and do you have a Donaldson pre-filter water trap before the air filter,the ones that do not seem to be the ones that get the wet filter.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Air filter minders are EASY to check:

Remove the hose that goes to the filter minder (the pipe between the filter to turbo) and suck on it.  That should peg it in the red and stay there until...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
How old is the air filter and do you have a Donaldson pre-filter water trap before the air filter,the ones that do not seem to be the ones that get the wet filter.
I noticed yesterday that the...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
It's the air filter that's the problem and a pre-filter is next. Anybody have a part number for the pre-filter for the M11.
This filter isn't very old and has 8,000 miles on it.

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
The air filter has made a difference and I will change the fuel filters next weekend and see if that will also make a difference.
I like doing one thing at a time and then I will know for sure what the problem was.

Reply #16
It's the air filter that's the problem and a pre-filter is next. Anybody have a part number for the pre-filter for the M11.
This filter isn't very old and has 8,000 miles on it.
Pre-filter?  Where...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
If you have one it's in line before the air filter.

Reply #18
If you have one it's in line before the air filter.
Is that in the same "box" as the air filter, inside the tubing leading to the filter box, or a separate housing?  I have not noticed anyplace...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Is that in the same "box" as the air filter, inside the tubing leading to the filter box, or a separate housing?  I have not noticed anyplace obvious.  Is this a stock configuration?

Thanks!

Reply #20
The air filter has made a difference and I will change the fuel filters next weekend and see if that will also make a difference.
I like doing one thing at a time and then I will know for sure...