Skip to main content

Topic: M11 Fuel Filter Replacement Process (Read 624 times) previous topic - next topic

M11 Fuel Filter Replacement Process
I am gearing up to replace both fuel filters on my M11. I'm looking at my shop manual and the process for replacing the primary filter looks straight forward and perhaps even easier than on my Power Stroke. However, I can't find mention of the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: M11 Fuel Filter Replacement Process
Reply #1
The Winn is the primary filter if yours is original. The secondary filter is mounted on the passenger side of the engine and looks like a regular spin on filter.

Reply #2
My secondary filter has a valve on the bottom to drain fuel.  Put a plastic bag over the filter while removing it to reduce mess.

If your Your primary filter has been updated it will have a bottom part that screws on the bottom and the whole thing...

Reply #3
If you don't have clean diesel then use a new container of ATF fluid to fill the filter.

Reply #4
I have Baldwin brand filters on my M11:
Primary - BF781
Secondary - BF1258

Reply #5
If you have Winn pre filter get spare o rings. There are 2  on filter and 2 more in housing. Mine was sucking air. New o rings fixed it

Reply #6
Thanks guys great stuff.

Follow the air purge process, start and run on high idle for three minutes.

Roger, is the "air purge process" the same as is listed under the "Operation"...

Reply #7
Yup.  Ignition needs to be on. With new filters I usually run it two or three times. It is also a way to make sure your engine has fuel at the engine before you start it.  If your coach has sat without running for a few months give it a try. 

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
No need to fill filters. Depress air vent and vent air out with air purge button. Filter on engine will fill and return air back to tank. Common rail engine. The four o-rings on the clear screen do fail. Replace and keep spares. I like DC4 on the...

Reply #9
These are the oring sizes needed for the pre-filter.
I would have preferred both in 70, but the only 90 was available for the one size at the time I ordered.

Reply #10
Just a note on filter replacement process-make sure you remove old filter seals, which may still be stuck in place once the filter is removed.  Not doing so will cause double gasketing and a guaranteed fuel leak.

Reply #11
My secondary filter has a valve on the bottom to drain fuel.  Put a plastic bag over the filter while removing it to reduce mess.

If your Your primary filter has been updated it...

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
The clear filter with the screen in it I leave alone if it is clean although it looks from the picture you might have some dirt in it.
It's been awhile since I have had the clear one apart but I remember it being a little tricky. Someone will come...

• CRY42
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #13
Might consider upgrading the old Winn to a Racor 700 Series.

Reply #14
For the clear one, loosen the thumb/wing screw you marked and the whole top assembly will lift off, then you can remove the plastic bowl.  Consider replacing the o-rings that are on the plastic bowl top and bottom and inside the metal housing top...

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
quote author=DayDreamer link=msg=410393 date=1606996696]
It is easy to miss the o-rings inside the upper and lower housing unless you know they are there. Even if you purchase a new pre-filter, it does not come with the smaller ones needed for the...

Reply #16
Quick question for those of you that carry spare filters with you. What's your plan for priming the filters if you need to change one on the side of the road? Siphon diesel out of the tank?

Reply #17
Quick question for those of you that carry spare filters with you. What's your plan for priming the filters if you need to change one on the side of the road? Siphon diesel out of the tank?
Your...

Reply #18
As Chuck said, use the air bleed, maybe two or three times. Start the engine and set idle to middle high (cc On, press set) about 800 rpms for 3 min.  Check for leaks.

Reply #19
Thanks guys, I'll test it out when I change this set of filters.

When would one use the H20 purge?

Reply #20
You should see an H2O indicator light and an H2O Purge button.  The light comes on if it senses water, push the button to purge water.  I don't think I have ever done this or needed to do it. 

The air purge can also be like a primer.  If your...

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21

No need to fill filters. Depress air vent and vent air out with air purge button. Filter on engine will fill and return air back to tank. Common rail engine.
Scott
[/quote]
Scott, I take it that this is for the Winn filter. Previous owner installed...

Reply #22
Air purge button is what Keith at MOT was likely referring to.  Turn on the ignition (don't start the engine) press the air purge button.  A small pump moves fuel and gets rid of air.  There is a Schrader valve under a cap to get rid of excess...