Skip to main content

Topic: Furnace not coming on. (Read 460 times) previous topic - next topic

Furnace not coming on.
Kind of bad timing considering we are looking at zero degree weather here in East Texas tonight.  :o

The furnace was working fin until this afternoon, then stopped coming on.  I just removed the cover and checked for loose wires, don't see anything...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Furnace not coming on.
Reply #1
Joe,

Try the trouble shooting document below to see if it gives you any ideas.  Good luck!

Reply #2
Thank you, Chuck!

• MarkC
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Joe, If the furnace doesn't light at all, sounds like it could be the igniter.   It may just need to be cleaned.  You can give it a light sanding with some emory cloth just to clean off the carbon build up.   Sometimes this is all that is needed.

Reply #4
Joe, If the furnace doesn't light at all, sounds like it could be the igniter.   It may just need to be cleaned.  You can give it a light sanding with some emory cloth just to clean off the...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Our furnace(s) both acted dead. Granted we have "old" 1989 Atwoods. But they did come back on when I found and pushed the reset button accessible only from the outside.

Reply #6
Our furnace(s) both acted dead. Granted we have "old" 1989 Atwoods. But they did come back on when I found and pushed the reset button accessible only from the outside.

I see a button and...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Try "snapping" the button several times. Or just keep moving the button back and forth. This might free it up.
I have even gone so far as to spray some electrical contacts cleaner into the button housing to loosen it up. Then blow the area dry...

Reply #8
Take a multimeter or a 12v test light and see if you have 12 volts after switch or reset breaker.  My furnace stopped working one night because the on/off switch went bad and wasn't letting 12v through.  If you have 12v after those then check to...

Reply #9
The brushes in the blower motor could be stuck, give it a light tap or three with a small hammer. And yes .... checking for power at the fuse, switch and control relay is the best option to try first.

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Do you have a bay door that opens in front of the heater? If so there may be a micro switch that keeps the heater from coming on with the door open mine gets bent every now and then .
  • Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:22:43 pm by bbeane

• Lance Camper
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Safety measure to prevent hot exhaust blowing on rear of bay door. Look for switch near the top corner of the bay door directly under the furnace. Push the corner of the door as if you were doing the Foretravel bump. First thing I would check.

Reply #12
Sorry you are having a furnace startup problem. It is very important to clarify if furnace blower does not run, runs but burner does not get light (makes light roaring sound). Low house battery can prevent gas flame.

Using lightbulbs for heat -...

Reply #13
You might check but with the comfort control you can not have a air conditioner and a furnace on,so by having one air conditioner on heat strip it will not let the furnace in the other zone come on.

Reply #14
Safety measure to prevent hot exhaust blowing on rear of bay door. Look for switch near the top corner of the bay door directly under the furnace. Push the corner of the door as if you...

Reply #15
Sorry you are having a furnace startup problem. It is very important to clarify if furnace blower does not run, runs but burner does not get light (makes light roaring sound). Low house...

Reply #16
Thanks everyone for the help with this.  Helped me to check in places I would never have though to look.

It ended up being something stupid.  A replacement Dinosaur board was installed, and when it was hooked up, one of the connectors was attached...