Skip to main content

Topic: Generator Fuel Consumption PT 8Kw (Read 441 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator Fuel Consumption PT 8Kw
Just ran my generator for 105.5 hours straight here in Galveston. I filled up the tank 7 miles from campsite anticipating we might lose power for a day or so on Saturday. Power went out 1:30 am Sunday. Power came on this morning and that also...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Generator Fuel Consumption PT 8Kw
Reply #1
Estimate my generator consumption to be ~ 41 gallons so .4 gph.
That's an excellent bit of real world data for the Forum.  Since the generator engine runs at constant RPM, i wonder how much...

Reply #2
I used to figure .5 a gallon an hour on my 8kw. It was .75 - 1 gph on my 12.5.  I ran my 50kw generator for 70 hours here at home and put in 64 gallons so even the big ones are similar.

Reply #3
Basic Thermodynamic:  (Last lecture I attended was in 1968, so cut me some slack, please)

Energy content of a gallon of diesel fuel:  139000 BTU

1 KWhr = 3412 BTU

used .4 Gal/hr  = 34759 BTU  /  3412 = 10.2 KWhr 

Peak Thermal Efficiency of diesel...

Reply #4
Basic Thermodynamic:  (Last lecture I attended was in 1968, so cut me some slack, please)

Energy content of a gallon of diesel fuel:  139000 BTU

1 KWhr = 3412 BTU

used .4 Gal/hr  = 34759 BTU ...

Reply #5
I did not proofread my last post, I did not catch the mistake I made in simple multiplication.  Turns out you all have to cut me slack with elementary school math.

Chris M lang sent me (tactfully) a PM to point it out, I assume he did not want to...

Reply #6
You guys are making my head hurt.
   I used to be horrible at math,, now I've worked up to mediocre. 🙂

Reply #7
You guys are making my head hurt.
  I used to be horrible at math,, now I've worked up to mediocre. 🙂

And I feel like I've "found my people"  ;)   (my last thermo class was either in...

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
 I do excel in philosophy but there is not much call for it..

Reply #9
A diesel (or gas) generator will use more fuel as the load goes up. If it is operating no load at 1800 rpm, it only has to consume enough fuel to balance the loss from the water pump, fan, engine loss from the rings, oil pump, etc, etc. As the...

Reply #10
Disagree with reply # 8

Philosophy is the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence.

As such it is the basis of understanding of all human interactions, whether you formally study it or acquire it through experience.

Reply #11
Fuel consumption on my RV generator is 7 gallons for a 24 hour period. Luckily I did not need to use it during the recent weather but I slept better at night knowing it was available to use if we lost power here in Missouri.

Reply #12
Disagree with reply # 8

Philosophy is the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence.

As such it is the basis of understanding of all human interactions, whether you...

Reply #13
Thermodynamics- philosophy- You guys are all above my pay grade!!!!
I just go by the Kenny Rogers song ""You got to know when to "holdm" and when to "foldm" when to walk away and when to run
Chris

Reply #14
Thermodynamics- philosophy- You guys are all above my pay grade!!!!
Chris
A coupe of decades ago when I was recuperating in what they call the "Progressive Care Unit" one of the therapists...

Reply #15
Formally studying philosophy is less painful than acquiring the same knowledge through experience.

But acquiring the same knowledge through experience is probably a lot more fun.....

Reply #16
For years we also used 0.4 gal / hour of 8kw gen run. A year ago we refined it down to 0.35 gal / hour.