Skip to main content

Topic: Coolant leak at engine and mechanic recommendation (Read 573 times) previous topic - next topic

Coolant leak at engine and mechanic recommendation
Before this freezing weather I noticed a puddle of engine coolant under my coach. This was a couple days after a trip down to Florida. It appears to be from around the coolant entry hose on driver's side of engine. I can't tell yet exactly where...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Coolant leak at engine and mechanic recommendation
Reply #1
Do exactly what you said you would do-- clean it up, then find the source of the leak.

You may need to borrow/rent a pressure pump to slightly pressurize (less than cap rating) the system.

And leaks DO happen more at colder temperatures, as the...

Reply #2
Brake cleaner is good for cleaning the area, and leaving a dry surface for seeing the seep.

M-11 engine?  There is an o-ring between the water pump and the inlet fitting attached to the block.  Several of us have replaced the o-ring in similar age...

Reply #3
The Gates flex connector on my ISM11 started leaking, messy replacing it and had to add about 10-11 gal of coolant.  Be sure to use constant tension hose clamps.

Reply #4
Just tighten hose clamps and your leak will likely stop.   Normal situation with cold temps.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5

You may need to borrow/rent a pressure pump to slightly pressurize (less than cap rating) the system.

So most auto parts stores rent pressure testers, but I've never seen the correct adapter...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Find and identify the leak first then worry about what to use and how to fix it.

Reply #7
Here is the Stant "truck" adapter that I purchased and works great. Keep in mind you need the Stant pump kit also.

Amazon.com: Stant 12450 Cooling System Tester Adapter: Automotive

Hans

• oldguy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I found a leak by starting up the engine and letting it warm up some and there was a enough pressure built up to find the leak. I
still have a really slow leak so this afternoon I will do the same thing again.

Reply #9
I found a leak by starting up the engine and letting it warm up some and there was a enough pressure built up to find the leak. I
still have a really slow leak so this afternoon I will do the...

Reply #10
Hans thanks for the tip but that adapter will not work on my '99 U320.  It might be the correct size, and probably is, but wtih the cross bar for the engine hatch there isn't enough vertical clearance for it to fit.  So I'll be sending it back.

Reply #11
Hans thanks for the tip but that adapter will not work on my '99 U320.  It might be the correct size, and probably is, but wtih the cross bar for the engine hatch there isn't enough vertical...