Skip to main content

Topic: 1993 GV Entry Door Handle repair (Read 209 times) previous topic - next topic

1993 GV Entry Door Handle repair
I was alerted by another member about a potential problem with the entry door inside handle on my 1993 U280.  It seems the inside handle can break off without warning, resulting in the occupant being trapped inside the coach.  See thread below:

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: 1993 GV Entry Door Handle repair
Reply #1
After looking at the problem, I decided it could be fixed by securing the handle to the plate with a bolt and some washers.  This solution had been previously suggested by Forum member Chuck (craneman) - it is not my original idea.

I cleaned out...

• Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 08:54:50 am by Chuck & Jeannie

Reply #2
Poked around in my washer drawer and found a fairly thick washer with a 1/2" hole.  Laying it over the square shaft end I could see that it lay flat on the steel plate, AND was slightly higher (taller) than the end of the handle shaft.  I then...

Reply #3
Before anyone asks....yes, I have already tried the plate on the door and it fits fine.  The washers and screw head don't interfere with any of the links in the locking mechanism.  I am confident that this fix will prevent the handle breaking...

Reply #4
That is a nice and clean fix.

I will fix mine following your writing.

Thanks for sharing this.

Reply #5
Thank you Chuck for adding to my list of things to work on.

No, seriously thank you, well written!

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Nice repair,
So after the repair is there any rotation between the shaft and the plate? Although the washer screw will retain the plate if it still is loose between the two they will slowly continue to wear. If you were able to add a drop of...

Reply #7
So after the repair is there any rotation between the shaft and the plate?
In the case of my handle, no, the fit between the two pieces is still nice and tight.  All the stress damage on my handle...

• Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:19:49 pm by Chuck & Jeannie

Reply #8
One more added comment to close out this thread.  It turns out, after I got my latch plate reinstalled and screwed down tight, that my "fix" does interfere with the internal lock linkage.  When I tried a test fit earlier, I was just holding it in...

• Andy 2
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Glad you mentioned this Chuck, as I used the idea this morning and found the same problem. We use that lock all the time so I just put it back as it was. Mine did not so signs of any stress .
Thanks for the post👍😁