Skip to main content
Topic: 1993 GV Entry Door Handle repair (Read 730 times) previous topic - next topic

1993 GV Entry Door Handle repair

I was alerted by another member about a potential problem with the entry door inside handle on my 1993 U280.  It seems the inside handle can break off without warning, resulting in the occupant being trapped inside the coach.  See thread below:

1991 Grand Villa Door Lock broken

Having been forewarned about the weak part, I decided to check the condition of my door assembly.  I removed the inside plate, and after close inspection saw that my handle was very close to breaking.  The photos below show:

1.  The outer side of plate showing the chrome handle.  This is what can fall off.

2.  The back side of the plate showing how the square handle shaft is mechanically peened over in the square hole on steel plate.

3.  Part number on the cast metal plate.

4.  Part number on the steel plate.  Notice damage to the square handle shaft.

5.  Another shot of the damaged square handle shaft.  The piece of metal fell off when I was cleaning grease off the parts.

1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Re: 1993 GV Entry Door Handle repair

Reply #1
After looking at the problem, I decided it could be fixed by securing the handle to the plate with a bolt and some washers.  This solution had been previously suggested by Forum member Chuck (craneman) - it is not my original idea.

I cleaned out the existing hole in the handle shaft.  I found it is roughly 9/64" inside diameter (measured with a drill bit) and about 3/4" deep.  I got out my trusty old Craftsman Tap & Die set and decided the 8-32 tap looked like the best fit.  I didn't want to take a chance on cracking the cast handle shaft by putting too much strain on it with a larger tap.  The tap ran in without any problem.  I then found a suitable size machine screw in my parts box and tested it to make sure it would fit without bottoming in the hole.  Photos below show:

6.  Drill bit I used to measure the hole diameter.

7.  Tapping the hole.

8.  Machine screw 8-32 thread

9.  Testing the screw for proper fit.

Reply #2
Poked around in my washer drawer and found a fairly thick washer with a 1/2" hole.  Laying it over the square shaft end I could see that it lay flat on the steel plate, AND was slightly higher (taller) than the end of the handle shaft.  I then found another thin stainless fender washer that would rest on the first washer.  With this combo, when I tighten the screw it will draw the handle shaft and the plate together, thus (hopefully) preventing them from ever separating.  Photos below show:

10.  Thick washer with 1/2" hole.

11.  Thin stainless washer.

12.  Screw inserted and treated with Loctite Red 271 thread locker

13.  Finished assembly.

Reply #3
Before anyone asks....yes, I have already tried the plate on the door and it fits fine.  The washers and screw head don't interfere with any of the links in the locking mechanism.  I am confident that this fix will prevent the handle breaking off.

Recommend all GV owners inspect their door latch and take necessary steps to rectify this potential fracture point..

Reply #4
That is a nice and clean fix.

I will fix mine following your writing.

Thanks for sharing this.
1991 Grand Villa U300

Reply #5
Thank you Chuck for adding to my list of things to work on.

No, seriously thank you, well written!
Frank & Connie Williams
1999 U320 '36
Build: 5466
MC: 18335

Reply #6
Nice repair,
So after the repair is there any rotation between the shaft and the plate? Although the washer screw will retain the plate if it still is loose between the two they will slowly continue to wear. If you were able to add a drop of epoxy prior the final torque of the screw it would press epoxy into that void between the shaft and plate. Just takes up that little looseness. Too much would cause issues also. IMO
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #7
So after the repair is there any rotation between the shaft and the plate?
In the case of my handle, no, the fit between the two pieces is still nice and tight.  All the stress damage on my handle seemed to be caused by pulling outward on the handle, like when it is used to PULL the door closed from the inside.  I will STOP doing that in the future.  In the other thread about the 1991 broken handle, Mike (Protech Racing) said he added a grab handle to his door to use when pulling it shut.  I will follow his lead and get one for our door next trip to town.

I actually thought about adding a little epoxy to fill the recess in the big thick washer around the shaft end.  But that would have required a run to town because I didn't have any fresh epoxy on hand.  If I ever detect any "sloppiness" in the handle action, I could always take it back apart and try adding the epoxy.

Reply #8
One more added comment to close out this thread.  It turns out, after I got my latch plate reinstalled and screwed down tight, that my "fix" does interfere with the internal lock linkage.  When I tried a test fit earlier, I was just holding it in place and did not notice the interference.

SO, if being able to use the latch lock is important, you might need to find another way to strengthen the handle.  If, like me, you have never used the latch lock and already have it disabled, then this is not a problem.

The previous owner had a piece of rubber tubing in place to disable the latch lock.  He said he had trouble with it and didn't trust it.  We retained the rubber tubing and have followed his advice for almost 8 years.  (See photo #01 in my initial post)

We use the deadbolt only to lock the coach, and that works fine for us.

Reply #9
Glad you mentioned this Chuck, as I used the idea this morning and found the same problem. We use that lock all the time so I just put it back as it was. Mine did not so signs of any stress .
Thanks for the post👍😁
Andy & Eileen
Riverton Wyoming
1992 U300  40' 6V92 TA
2007 Honda CRV
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee) Build # 4135 Skp# 122921

Reply #10
Adding one more note to this thread.

In the first post in this thread, I linked to a previous discussion about broken GV entry door handles.  In that thread Mike Ogren suggested adding a second "fixed" door handle to take the strain off the OEM handle when opening and closing the door (Reply #27).

1991 Grand Villa Door Lock broken

I thought that sounded like a great idea!  Just got around to implementing it.  I went over to Lowes and poked around their cabinet hardware dept. until I found something that looked like it would work.  I found a spot on the inside door plate where the "Aux" handle is close to the existing handle, but still out of the way of everything.  It turned out to be (IMO) a perfect fit!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Brainerd-Bar-Pulls-3-in-Center-to-Center-Polished-Chrome-Cylindrical-Bar-Cabinet-Door-Pull/1000309539

Using the fixed handle for opening and closing the door, especially in strong wind conditions, will spare the OEM handle a LOT of abuse.  I recommend this simple upgrade to all Forum GV owners.

Note:  Two pair of different length machine screws come with the handle I used.  Both sets of screws are too long for mounting the handle on a thin metal plate.  I found a couple shorter screws in my miscellaneous hardware collection that worked perfect.  If you don't have a big stash of spare hardware, you should pick up a couple shorter screws at the store while you are there.  About 1/2" long is what you need.

Reply #11
Chuck that handle looks REALLY good!
Frank & Connie Williams
1999 U320 '36
Build: 5466
MC: 18335