Skip to main content

Topic: D2 Governor (Read 946 times) previous topic - next topic

D2 Governor
In reading the D2 Governor is tied to the front and rear air brakes, if I am reading things right.
There has been a lot of talk about PSI reading in the 130 range, and my front reading when
fully warmed up is about 100 in the front and with the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: D2 Governor
Reply #1
The governor is tied to the wet tank and supplies whatever pressure it has been set for. 90/120 is usually default. It can be reset to 100/130 which helps when airing tires. The front tanks should read the same when the governor shuts off.

Reply #2
As Chuck (craneman) said, when your air dryer purges (blows off) and your compressor cuts out (stops pumping) both of your dash air pressure gauges should read the same pressure.  Your gauges are reading different pressures.  This may indicate...

Reply #3
My brake performance had a notable improvement when I replaced my D2 and adjusted the pressure from previous 120# to 130#.

Reply #4
My front and rear air tanks had a 10 psi differential.  I replaced the check valves on inlet side of the air tanks and afterwards my pressure between the two tanks were the same.

Reply #5
It's easy to change I found if, I loosen the airlines before unbolting the D2 from the coach frame.  Then follow those instructions and plug the correct holes.  Then with the airlines at least finger tight I then remount the D2.  Then tighten the...

Reply #6
Where is the D2 located on my coach. My brake gauges show 100# on dash. Just replaced 2 leaking tank drains, 2 safety valves and check valves.

• Hach
  • [*]
Reply #7
So funny.  I recently replaced the tires on my 2004 36U295 and the front tires spec out to require 115psi given my weight.  Now my air pressure only went to 112psi so I was always dreading that last 3lbs.  Played games with my wife stomping on...

Reply #8
Where is the D2 located on my coach.

It will be close to the air compressor or even on the compressor in some cases. Some are mounted on the frame rail around the area of the A/C...

Reply #9
When you get your spare D2, also get the fittings and pre assemble. That way if you ever need to change the D2 on the road you just have attach the air lines and not mess with fittings.

Reply #10
On my 2014 IH45 it is mounted to the side of the engine block.

Reply #11
Found it. I will try to adjust air pressure up tomorrow. Will get spare for parts bin.

Reply #12
I will try to adjust air pressure up tomorrow.
Turn adjusting screw counter clockwise to raise pressure.

http://www.plazafleetparts.com/uploads/2/1/9/0/2190100/d-2_governor_maintenance.pdf

Reply #13
This thread reminded that the guy who does our chassis/engine maintenance told me it's a good
idea to "swap out that D2 at next service, keep the old one in the spares bin onboard".
Also a new drier is also in order since we can't read the date of...

Reply #14
...the guy who does our chassis/engine maintenance told me it's a good idea to "swap out that D2 at next service, keep the old one in the spares bin onboard".
Sorry, I can't agree with this...

• Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:47:28 am by Chuck & Jeannie

• CRY42
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #15
After reading the D2 Governor post, thought I would take the Forum advice and purchase a spare.
But I see all different Part Numbers ? Is a D2 Governor the same, regardless of the Part Number ?
Thanks as always for the Forum and your kind advice.

Reply #16
Is a D2 Governor the same, regardless of the Part Number ?
If you go shopping for a spare D2 keep two things in mind.

First, you should try to find a genuine Bendix brand unit if possible.  You...

• CRY42
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #17
Thank you, Chuck !
The Forum is the GREATEST.
Have a great day.

Reply #18
I can see no good reason to keep a "used" D2 for a spare, when brand new fresh ones are so inexpensive. 

[/quote]

After thinking about it, I agree.
I carry 2 new ones (came with the coach), so why carry around a used one.
DUH!

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
I'm a life long gear-head, but am embarrassed to admit that I don't know where the air compressor or D2 is on my coach, since my Foretravel Owners Manual is severely lacking in the gear-head department and this thread assumes a lot.  I've been...

Reply #20
I don't know where the air compressor or D2 is on my coach...
Sadly, I do not have a 450 HP engine.    :'(

BUT, I do have Google search!  Google knows all.

There is a good chance that the D2 on your...

Reply #21
I'm on the other side of the coin on new or used (working) spare.
If I need it it will get me home. If I install a new spare that should work but if it doesn't then what?
I have been burned by new stuff that didn't work in the past.

• dsd
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22

Could someone pleeze crawl under their ISM450 powered rig and take a picture of the D2 on their engine and post it here???...one that shows exactly where the D2 is, and what it looks like...

Reply #23
Scott,

Hard to tell from your photo.  Is your D2 mounted on the frame or directly on the engine air compressor?

Reply #24
I'm on the other side of the coin on new or used (working) spare.
That is fine - every owner should do whatever makes them happy.

My reasoning is that if you remove a D2 because it is not...