Skip to main content
Topic: Leveling System Dumps Air then Refills via aux pump  (Read 459 times) previous topic - next topic

Leveling System Dumps Air then Refills via aux pump

New issue showed up today.  After auto leveling about 30 min  later the system will dump air and then the aux pump refills.  This repeats ever 30 min or so.  Where do I start looking?  Thanks
2009 Nimbus CE
2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
 ̷2̷0̷0̷6̷ ̷C̷o̷u̷n̷t̷r̷y̷ ̷C̷o̷a̷c̷h̷ ̷I̷n̷s̷p̷i̷r̷e̷

Re: Leveling System Dumps Air then Refills via aux pump

Reply #1
That is normal, auto leveling fine tuning the level. I think that after auto level has leveled you can turn the system off and it won't do that
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #2
Are you parked on a fairly level surface? Can you manually level the coach, turn the system off, will the coach stay level?
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #3
New issue showed up today.  After auto leveling about 30 min  later the system will dump air and then the aux pump refills.  This repeats ever 30 min or so.  Where do I start looking?  Thanks

This is exactly how the leveling system operates.

First, it levels.  Then it goes to sleep.

It wakes up every 30 minutes (if you leave it in "level" mode) and checks things.  If unlevel, FIRST it dumps air in the corners/sides that are high.  If it has not achieved level by dumping it then raises the corners/sides that are low.  (if it still can't achieve level, it will throw an "excess slope" light, which generally means the site is too unlevel for the system to deal with.

If it has to do this every 30 minutes all day and night there is likely a small leak somewhere.  If it just does it a couple of times per day, and especially if it does it just once or twice after the initial leveling, that's pretty much within spec as temperatures fluctuate.

A small leak could be anywhere in the leveling system.  Six pack o-rings and plunger seals are a common one (hence the rebuild kits), fittings are another.  If the relevel is frequent enough that it really bothers you, grab your safety blocks, some dollar store kids' bubble blowing liquid, and start painting joints to look for bubbles.  Be prepared for a certain level of frustration; chasing leaks can definitely drive one nuts.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #4
Be prepared for a certain level of frustration; chasing leaks can definitely drive one nuts.
A few tidbits from someone who is currently playing this game:
    • Children's bubble solution is surprisingly difficult to find these days. I couldn't find it at the dollar stores, Walmart, or grocery stores here in the Phoenix area. I ended up buying a big $10 bottle off Amazon which turned out to be a good thing, because you apparently use a lot of it
    • You need to extend your airbags all the way (via "raise" on the HWH panel) before spraying them. I had three leaky bags that only created bubbles around the baseplate when fully extended.
    • The piston that slides your entry step cover in/out is a common failure. To test, extend the slide cover, disconnect the piston arm under the cover, retract the arm into the cylinder, and then spray the area where the arm goes in/out
    [/list]
    1987 Grand Villa ORED
    2001 U320 4010

Not all that wander are lost... but I often am.

Reply #5
    After checking out all the fittings and air bags and six pack for leaks with soap.  I gave up and rebuilt the six pack.  New plungers and O rings.

Problem solved.  It will go a week or so with out leaking down and re leveling.

Check every thing else first.  Mine was the pasanger front leaking down then it would re-level about every 30 minutes.  2006 Nimbus 336
    2006 Nimbus 336
    Built 2005 may be one of the first coaches labeled Nimbus.
    DEMCO Air-force One braking system.
    Towing 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport.
    Road Master Falcon 5250 tow bar.