Skip to main content

Topic: M11 Oil Leak from the plug at end of block? (Read 199 times) previous topic - next topic

M11 Oil Leak from the plug at end of block?
I'm not really sure what this particular cover is called at the end of the block. It's the housing for the gears coming off the camshaft that drive the different pulleys. There's a plastic plug in the center that appears to be leaking. I assume...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• SteveB
  • [*][*][*]
Re: M11 Oil Leak from the plug at end of block?
Reply #1
Pretty sure that is not oil spray but just capillary action causing the oil to move upward. My engine looks the same and your right, we need to replace that cover.

Steve

Reply #2
Pretty sure that is not oil spray but just capillary action causing the oil to move upward.
That makes sense, good call out. I'm curious what the little plug is for... seems you could maybe just...

Reply #3
The gear cover plug is Cummins PN 3892666

Reply #4
The gear cover plug is Cummins PN 3892666
Amazing recall, bravo!

A quick google search indicates they're hard to source here in the US but readily available in China. I'll give my local...

Reply #5
Yeah, a Cummins shop is your best bet.

It probably has a lip on the backside for retention. Since it's old, be careful not to break the lip off when prying it out.

I have no idea why that hole/plug is there... could have been for some option not...

• SteveB
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
If I remember correctly it is to access the cam gear timing marks (?).

Steve

Reply #7
Oooof. 37 minute estimated wait right now when you call Cummins parts department.

Reply #8
One of my plugs is leaking about the same as yours and it was replaced about 40K miles ago.  Probably have a finite life expectancy.  If you find them get two.

Reply #9
One of my plugs is leaking about the same as yours and it was replaced about 40K miles ago.  Probably have a finite life expectancy.  If you find them get two.
For shiggles, I...

Reply #10
For shiggles, I put in an RFQ on Alibaba to see what the per/unit price would be if we did a bulk buy. Seems to be $5-$10/ea. I'll update this thread when I know what Cummins charges and what...