Skip to main content
Topic: Recommendations on where to replace awning fabric (and cost?) (Read 1663 times) previous topic - next topic

Recommendations on where to replace awning fabric (and cost?)

Recommendations on where to replace awning fabric?

Sometime in the next 6 months we want to replace the fabric on all of our awnings, and perhaps flex keys and some springs.    We already replaced the springs and flex key on the two slideout awnings last year.

We are currently in Oregon, will transit through NV  and into AZ by late summer or early fall.  We may consider TX (or maybe just AZ) for the coming winter.

The fabric seams thread let go on most of the awnings, and I seam sealed them a  year ago for the interim to keep them together.

Any recommendations of places to do it, and estimate of cost for all window and slideout awnings?  We may also do the main patio awning at the same time.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Re: Recommendations on where to replace awning fabric (and cost?)

Reply #1
How long are you going to be in Vegas? I have a guy but you have to watch him close >> nothing major but the straps are not perfect on mine.. It only bothers me I guess.

Anyway I can get you his number. He does all our work awnings.. I took it off and he matched it and he can make new pieces (Keyway? Not sure the name) the piece that goes to the coach and connects to the flex key but Its an easy one for ZipDee to send out to .

I dont like referring people so use at your own risk..

Reply #2
If you plan to be in or around Quartzite in January there are people there that do that work.  Our neighbor in park Jan 2020 had his awnings replaces on a bluebird and he was happy with their work.  He told me it was a little over half what he had been quoted at other places.  He was from Washington/oregon area.
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #3
When I bought my coach the awnings were in terrible shape. The cotton thread that they used was deteriorated and the panels were splitting plus the fabric had seen much better days. I had a bunch of sunbrella leftover for a boat project that I never finished. So what was going to be a bimini and dodger became awnings. Four of them. Since I didn't know how to sew I had to teach myself to and I bought a sewing machine since I didn't know how to sew I had to teach myself to and I bought a sewing machine fromsince I didn't know how to sew I had to teach myself to and I bought a sewing machine from sailrite. I didn't get the zigzag one which I should have but it's not necessary for the awnings. Through YouTube I learned how to sew and I made all the awnings except for the big one. That one I bought sunbrella Plus in a pattern. Also I use Gore-Tex tenara thread which is impervious to ultraviolet radiation and has a lifetime warranty I believe. Right about that time the sewing machine decided to crap out. but it was warranted so I got a new one and paid the extra hundred bucks for the zigzag one. But never did use it finish the big awning with my ex-wife's help. I don't think I could have done that by myself luckily I had a 12-ft dining room table to do the work on. They came out really good for just money on the parts. when I left Texas my ex sold the sewing machine to somebody for probably a ridiculously low amount of money. Taking off the big awning was the biggest problem and it took three of us as well as putting it back on although we probably could have did it with two adults. I had kids and you know how their work ethic is LOL. so if you want to save some money do it yourself. If you want it done right and to your satisfaction order it from zip dee. I don't think that you'll find anybody else that will do as good of a job as you will but I'm sure I'm wrong on that. once I get in a place where I can receive mail I'm going to get some more parts for my awnings. Not the fabric of course cuz that's all done but I have some parts that need replacing. Make sure you get the right rivets from zip d to do the job because the rivets are different and if you use the wrong one it may interfere with the spring.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #4
I have a seam over the slide where the thread is missing
I was going to start a post asking what type of glue might hold up, as I don't want to remove the awning.
JBWeld?
Or is there a better choice?
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #5
I have a seam over the slide where the thread is missing
I was going to start a post asking what type of glue might hold up, as I don't want to remove the awning.
JBWeld?
Or is there a better choice?

Gear Aid Seam Seal or  Gear Aid AquaSeal, and brushes.  Buy more than you think you need. Amazon should have it along with reviews.

It will darken the fabric where used.  I recommend some painters blue tape to make a "stripe" of the darker material the seal will cause.  Then it looks more like a intentional feature.

Reply #6
I replaced my cover over the slide from zip dee direct. May be able to get made locally but price wasn't too bad and they were on time with shipping. Also installed new zip dee strips on top. All of them. I'm sure every twenty year old coach should have them replaced before they fail and drop the awning and aluminum cover. Not a one person job, but can be done. I used scaffolding along coach to walk on during install two people is much easier on main patio cover..
Scott
Scott and Kim Davidson
If you're going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
DEGOIWKY
Don't ever get old, it will kill you
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #7
Fulltiming, so I'll have to hire this out.  We use our window awnings often, and sun fade and failing threads in seams.

We plan to replace the fabric on every window awning at the same time.

Our awnings are a grey/silver color.

Reply #8
Our awnings are a grey/silver color.

Sunbrella Cadet Grey #4630 per the original order paperwork  ;)

(that's a marine-grade fabric per Sailrite Sunbrella® Marine Grade 4630-0000 Cadet Grey 46" Fabric - Sailrite )
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #10
Recommendations on where to replace awning fabric?

Any recommendations of places to do it, and estimate of cost for all window and slideout awnings?  We may also do the main patio awning at the same time.

You can purchase the Sailright fabric and heavy duty sewing machine, and the electric cautery to cut the fabric cleanly,
or, you can call ZipDee, the original manufacturer.

1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #11
Dan, if you are going to replace all of the awning fabric you could consider changing color.  Our coach has burgundy colored awnings and they always seem to look nice, they are out almost all the time we are away, 11 of the last 16 months.  I see some coaches with tan awnings and they always seem to look a bit dirty.  People have asked us if our awnings are new, nope original.

Roger

Reply #12
You might want to see if Zip Dee can give you a list of dealers (or has one on their website) for the areas you plan to be in - nice thing about using a dealer is they will know how to make the pertinent measurements for things.  The hold-downs for the slide topper awnings, for example, have that extra piece (and might also be longer).  Bonus points if the Zip Dee dealer is also a Girard deal who can handle the big awning fabric swapout.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #13
We use Shadepro, RV Awning Shades & Accessories Online | Shade Pro , and have been very happy.  They are in AZ, Cali and I believe NV as well.  They have mobil installers who come to you!  They replaced our slide topper and did a great job.  I would get your flex keys from ZipDee.  We used ZipDee for our main awning, but all the small ones, Shadepro, no problem!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #14
Oregon Motor Coach Eugene, OR should be able to help you out. It's on your path south. They are one of the Foretravel recommended repair facility. They honor the Motorcade 10% discount. At least they used to. Give em' a call.  1 800 942 6860

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Reply #15
I would definitely ask him to use the tenara gortex thread. Lifetime warranty impervious to sunlight.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #16
Update on my post about replacing awning fabric on our 2003 U320.

For the Girard patio awning ONLY, I ordered 17 yards of 60" wide Sunbrella cadet grey fabric from Sailrite, had it shipped to me when I was in Oregon.  $470 including shipping. 

We are now in Nacogdoches, MOT removed the old fabric, Trina sewed the fabric into the replacement size.  MOT then re-installed the fabric, plus a new seal between roof and Girard awning.

There was some difficulty with the removal and re-install, but completed today at 5PM.  $1706 for Trina's sewing work, and techs removing/re-installing the fabric, plus the new seal for the roof which they had in stock. 

MOT applied the Motorcade discount, and then further discounted becuase the removal and re-install took longer than they expected.

Happy with the work and results.

Side note: MOT is EXTREMELY busy, and covered up with sales coaches and repair/remodel work.  On the remodel side, large expansion of parking area under way, and some new pedestals for hookups.

Reply #17
Now a update on the 4 window awnings, and 2 slideout awnings:

I ordered replacement pre-sewn fabric directly from Zip-Dee, shipped to me in Oregon.  Zip dee sewed up the 6 Sunbrella cadet grey fabric awnings, and I also ordered new flex strips. 

For all 6 awnings, plus flex strips, and includes new straps, $2180 including $70 shipping.  No sales tax in OR where I had it shipped.

I have a appointment at Xtreme in Nacogdoches on 29 Nov to install the awning fabric, plus some fiberglass and paint work on one bay door.

The awning labor and shop supplies estimate by Xtreme  is $945 to install the new fabric on the 6 awnings.

Reply #18
Ouch. That's expensive but they will look good. I think I was all in for less than $1,200 and that was including the sewing machine. But I really don't remember now. I just ordered and received parts for my big awning. The locks are not right so I'm going to replace both sides as well as the spring and the front part doesn't expand anymore so I'm going to replace that as well, including all the rivets to do that was over $550 from zip dee.  But it's worth it cuz I like these awnings.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #19
When we replaced the flex strip on our 1989 GV I also ordered a new front end lock and release mechanism for our patio awning. 
Seemed like a good time to replace it as long as the spring tension was off the awning. Glad I did. The new locking is more positive and a bit crisper than the 32 year old one.
Guess I became a bit paranoid after reading about others having their patio awnings flair out when encountering high winds.
Better safe than sorry.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #20
When we replaced the flex strip on our 1989 GV I also ordered a new front end lock and release mechanism for our patio awning. 
Seemed like a good time to replace it as long as the spring tension was off the awning. Glad I did. The new locking is more positive and a bit crisper than the 32 year old one.
Guess I became a bit paranoid after reading about others having their patio awnings flair out when encountering high winds.
Better safe than sorry.

Word of caution........Replaced my Lock mechanism when I bought the coach and mine still flared out in high winds, 2 different times.  Needs replacing again now.  I zip tie mine now.  :o  :D  :D

2000 GV320 4010 build #5712  2019-?
1999 Bounder 2000-2008
Bardstown, KY
🥃The Bourbon Capital of the World🥃

Reply #21
I finished the forward part of the big awning yesterday replacing not only the lock but also the side pieces that not only push the awning up and out away from the coach but also the piece that locks into the top. That had broken 2 years before and I finally got around to replacing it. I don't know if my locks were original or not but the new one does work better. I was going to replace the rear lock including a new spring today, but looks like we're going to a country club at noon to hang out at the pool with Glenn and Amy and twig and whoever else is coming. So I guess I'll be working on this tomorrow instead. Not looking forward to unspringing the spring but have done it before so aware of what's involved. I was a little bit disappointed in the casting of the piece that locks into the top flex key area. Cast aluminum and it broke in the middle. It doesn't look like a very strong piece. I guess it's design for the load that it was designed for and I probably put some side tension on it causing it to fracture being out in the sun and wind over 20 some years. Probably didn't do it any favors either. Eventually everything on these coaches will need to be replaced one part at a time.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #22
Collapse the front arm all the way so the awning is hanging down as far as it will go. Keep in mind that the more you unroll the awning the greater the spring tension. Lock the front end so zero rotation.
Put a 6' step ladder under the awning roll about 6" to the rear of center of the awning.
Carefully remove the anchor end of the spring loaded rear awning arm from the coach. Here is where I tied a rope to the rear awning axle and the other end of the rope to my hitch on our Vue. This held the awning out from the coach, but also down onto the ladder.
Or have  someone keep the awning far enough away from the coach that you can rotate the entire arm to reduce the spring tension.
Keep count of every full turn so you can return to original spring tension. As an alternative, follow Zip Dee's instructions on preloading spring tension. You can always increase the number of turns if you find the awning doesn't roll up completely or requires assistance.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #23
I think it was 21 or 22 turns when I put the new fabric on 2 years ago. But this is a new spring so I imagine that it should take less turn to get the same tension
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #24
In Xtreme's  parking area in Nacogdoches waiting for them to open tomorrow morning at 8 am for the Zipdee presewn awning fabric install, and minor fiberglass and paint on one bay door.  Here for approx one week.

Saddlesore pulled in next to us this afternoon.