Skip to main content
Topic: Worn out air bag (Read 463 times) previous topic - next topic

Worn out air bag

I am in to the next mechanical adventure.  I should get the air bag "tool kit" in a day or so, but I decided to do a couple.  Maybe I was anxious, or in need of a humility lesson.  The air fitting on the driver front air bag was tough to get to.  I loosened the fender and Kelly held it up while I wrenched.

I am removing the wheels to do the work.  While I replace the bags, I am inspecting the brake pins and checking the calipers for movement.  Looking at the brake pads and cleaning off some old grease from the suspension.  I am removing the bottom bolt for the shocks and checking them.  I'm polishing the wheels.  I am also doing a patch to a wheel well liner that has worn through - maybe a PO drove it uninflated or hit a BIG bump.

Note that the worst part of the bag was not visible from the wheel well - I assumed the worst part would be where the sun hits it.

Matt B
1998 u-320

Re: Worn out air bag

Reply #1
I had to make a special socket to remove the fitting.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #2
Pulling fender took all of 10 minutes, probably 1/2 hr to put back because of cleanup and reseal.

Way easier then fighting it. Everything is right there, and one can clean up and paint stuff.

No dirt in your eyes!

They are NOT glued on.

Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #3
I had to make a special socket to remove the fitting.
I shoved a 1" or 1-1/16" socket over it and undid it, one wrench click at a time.  I will be glad to have the proper tool.
Matt B
1998 u-320

Reply #4
Pulling fender took all of 10 minutes, probably 1/2 hr to put back because of cleanup and reseal.

Way easier then fighting it. Everything is right there, and one can clean up and paint stuff.

No dirt in your eyes!

They are NOT glued on.

Chris
I was trying to avoid removing the fender, due to the body paint on the screws.  I don't know what it was, but the fender was glued or caulked in place.  It took a while to gently pry the fender up so I could get behind it.  I didn't pry the top edge off - I was worried about deforming and chipping the trim band.
Matt B
1998 u-320

Reply #5
Have 3 old bags from our 96,in better shape then yours,anyone who needs a couple pay shipping.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #6
I was trying to avoid removing the fender, due to the body paint on the screws.  I don't know what it was, but the fender was glued or caulked in place.  It took a while to gently pry the fender up so I could get behind it.  I didn't pry the top edge off - I was worried about deforming and chipping the trim band.

There are a second set of small screws behind the trim, just a few. Touch up paint would take care of the screw heads. But I understand what you are saying.

Chris
Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
Previous owners 1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348