Skip to main content
Topic: JAVALINA MONITOR DIED. (Read 432 times) previous topic - next topic

JAVALINA MONITOR DIED.

My 2002 U320 is at it again. This time my Javelina monitor went BLANK. No readings from the tanks and no reading from back up camera.  The coach is in the shop and I need to get this fixed .  The circuit board is gone, says my service guy, so can't I just replace the Javelina monitor with another monitor that has the same inputs? The tank sensors should be fine and camera was still working, its getting 12 volt power, but monitor is blank. I've seen several monitors on Amazon that should work or do I have to replace the entire system? I'm not sure, so any suggestions or products that others have used to replace this monitor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ralph in San Pedro
2002 U320
Ralph and Mary Jo Winchester
San Pedro, California
2002 40ft. U320, Build 6056
2007 Tahoe

Re: JAVALINA MONITOR DIED.

Reply #1
Our 1993 had the Javalina system with the b/w monitor. I  installed a color camera in the back and a 7 inch monitor up front. I used the existing wires but I don't have a tank monitor with this setup. The same camera (excellent night vision) and monitor are about $55 on ebay. If you buy from a "dash cam or rear cam" store online, you get the same Chinese stuff but at a very premium price. Our system was one of our first purchases when we bought the coach in 2008 and still works as well as when installed. The image on the screen is 100x better than the OEM. For a little more, you can get extra cameras along with a split screen monitor. I like wired better than the wireless. See my very old posts for how to do it.
Again, I don't like the wireless as well as the image may not be as stable. Check these for "DIY" on different coaches but same idea: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=installing+a+back+up+monitor+rv

Pierce
Pierce,  Gaylie and Koda
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof

Reply #2
My 2002 U320 is at it again. This time my Javelina monitor went BLANK. No readings from the tanks and no reading from back up camera.  The coach is in the shop and I need to get this fixed .  The circuit board is gone, says my service guy, so can't I just replace the Javelina monitor with another monitor that has the same inputs?

Yes - on a 2002 the head/monitor is just used as a display.  It wasn't something special made by or for Javalina.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Reply #3
Thanks guys for your replies. So Michelle, what your saying is I can purchase a 7 inch monitor display and with the proper connectors   I will have the same image from the rear camera and a monitor that will show the tank levels and battery levels as before. I certainly hope that will work.

Thanks, Michelle
San Pedro, California
2007 Tahoe

Reply #4
Thanks guys for your replies. So Michelle, what your saying is I can purchase a 7 inch monitor display and with the proper connectors   I will have the same image from the rear camera and a monitor that will show the tank levels and battery levels as before. I certainly hope that will work.

It should.  What I don't recall is if the camera feed needs to be reversed by the "head" display or not - I don't recall how it's fed to the OEM display.  In other words, you want to see the image as if it's a rear view mirror - curbside on the right, streetside on the left.  I don't remember if the OEM camera system does that for you or if you need to reverse the image for it to display correctly (since from the camera's perspective looking back from the coach, curbside is on its left and streetside is on its right.  Make sense?

Tim at RV Cams might be a good source of help - even if you're not replacing the camera, he's helped many Foretravel owners with their replacement display needs.

Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Reply #5
Clarify with your tech. Is a circuit board out on the monitor or the Javalina brain mounted separately from the monitor?  If monitor it’s fairly easy to upgrade the monitor and backup camera. On my 1998 the monitor used BNC style connections. The new cameras use a four pin connection as do some monitors. Original back up camera is wired to TV “like” cable for video, separate power DC 12v. If you run four pin cable to camera it’s plug and play, but you have to run the new cable. I used the original and connected with various adapters. Hardest part was removing original monitor on my coach. Many good posts. My total cost with adapters was under $100 all sourced  from Amazon with one set of video adapters from EBay.

My monitor allows me to flip and flop images. Javalina image reversed from camera in back.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #6
Realmccoy/
thanks for the reply, the brain is mounted seperatly I believe. I'm not with the coach right know but the tech said the monitor was bad. The brain is in the cabinet below the dash. The monitor just quit and I just need to get another monitor hopefully!  The tech seems to be having a tough time finding a monitor to replace the Javelina.  What brand did you use?  Really don't want cut a hole in the dash, so I'm looking at a flush mount with 5 0r 6 inch screen. Still searching.
Ralph
San Pedro, California
2007 Tahoe

Reply #7
Here is what I did. Fastened a piece of aluminum behind original opening and mounted monitor to the aluminum. Used VHB tape, no drilling of dash.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #8
What I don't recall is if the camera feed needs to be reversed by the "head" display or not
Is this typically a setting you can enable? I've noticed mine is "backwards" and would love to be able to just flip a setting to reverse it
2001 U320 4010

Not all that wander are lost... but I usually am.

Reply #9
Here is what I did. Fastened a piece of aluminum behind original opening and mounted monitor to the aluminum.

Same here.
jor
97 270, 34'
Previous:
93 225, 36'
99 320, 36'
95 300, 40'

Reply #10
Is this typically a setting you can enable? I've noticed mine is "backwards" and would love to be able to just flip a setting to reverse it

Elliot;  some monitors have a reverse that you can click on and change.  When I installed the Sony 8000, that is what I did, went into camera settings and clicked on reverse and now I have a camera that is giving me the proper look!
Joe & Dottie Allen
2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach, Maxine
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F495795; Boondockers Welcome
'98 U320 from 2000-'06

"the difference between stupidity and genius?  Genius has it's limits!"

Reply #11
One other thing on my monitor is I leave the distance lines on.  The lines are on each side of my toad so at a glance I can see if the toad is wobbling which could mean a flat tire or other problem.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #12
I installed  a Heigh 10 system that has rear and side  cameras,  stereo,navigation,  and bluetooth phone. I installed  the seelevel monitoring panel  inplace of the old audit system.  Working out well.
1999 U270 36'

Reply #13
My audit system  was working when pulled if anyone  needs parts
1999 U270 36'

Reply #14
I too pulled out my audit system and replaced it with a backup camera from Amazon. The screen is velcroed in to the dash works great. my tanks are monitored through the sea level system so I don't have to worry about that. My Panasonic dash has a flip up screen that partially covers my rear camera screen which gives me a side view on the passenger side plus I can see over my tow vehicle and behind. If I want to see my two vehicle better I can either look up and down over the first monitor or just close the pioneer head unit screen for full backup camera view.
It was nice getting rid of that black and white camera and monitor which took up so much room behind the dash.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired