Skip to main content
Topic: Switches and Kitchen Table Light (Read 704 times) previous topic - next topic

Switches and Kitchen Table Light

So inside the entrance door of my 97 U295, theres three switches on one small black fore travel panel. one switch is exterior upper door light, second is the entrance door step light, third one say coach and its a temporary rocker toggle that says coach ??
It doesn't seem to be turning anything on ? Does anyone know what its supposed to operate ??  ALSO, the ceiling mounted round light above the kitchen table, has two screw type bulbs in it, appears to be 60 watt,  where is the switch that turns that on ??
Changed bulbs, tried every switch I could find and still NOTHING ??!!
Jimmy A.
1997 Foretravel U295 40'
Build # 5146

Re: Switches and Kitchen Table Light

Reply #1
Jimmy,

The chandelier (round light above the kitchen table) should be controlled by the dimmer switch that located on the bottom of the overhead cabinet.  You push the round button once to turn it on and once again to turn it off. If it is on you rotate the round knob to brighten or dim.

The momentary switch by the door should turn on a kitchen light. Do you have a momentary switch over the kitchen sink also? If so this is the other switch that works the same kitchen light.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #2
The "coach" switch is a two way switch to turn the center florescent ceiling light.  A second momentary switch to t\turn this light on/off is in the kitchen area.  At lest that is the way it is on my '99 coach. 

The dining table is the only 110 volt light in my coach.  It is controlled by a circular knob switch located under the upper vanity cabinet.  It is a damnable light. 

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #3
OK , Thats what I thought, neither  switch is turning on those lights ? Interesting, guess I'll have to check a few other things.
Also, I turn house batteries on, now I can turn on the dashboard radio, but noooo sound ??!!  If I connect to 110 or turn generator on, I can turn on the Bose surround sound system which is connected to radio. Now I hear music, but how do I listen to the radio wo accessing 110 ?  Do I need to run generator going down the road just to listen to the dashboard radio ???
Jimmy A.
1997 Foretravel U295 40'
Build # 5146

Reply #4
According to the wiring schematics I have with the coach, the circuit for that light along with the circuit for the Bose system in the overhead console should be connected to the inverter. I turned the inverter on but nothing turned on. Am I missing something or is it not operating ??
Jimmy A.
1997 Foretravel U295 40'
Build # 5146

Reply #5
If neither switch is turning on the light it may be the latching relay.
Peter and Frieda Morin
1999 36ft. U320 Foretravel
Build # 5436
1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport

Reply #6
Jimmy,,

Old guy is correct in that you most likely have a failed latching relay for those lights. Now that relay should be hidden under the false floor of the overhead cabinet above the microwave. Its location will also depend on what floor plan you have but most of those year coaches had them hid above the micro. It can also be in the false floor in the cabinet above the sink.

Yes the Bose has to have 120 A/C to work from shore, generator, or inverter. If inverter isn't supplying power when turned on check breakers and transfer switch. Make sure you have clean battery connections. Small on/off switch on front of  inverter needs to be in the off possession.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #8
Jimmy,

I know this is basic but did you check to make sure the bulb is good and the ballast is good if it is still a fluorescent fixture?

The relay that Roger links to will work if you do some re wiring.  Your age coach will have the small cube relay.  It is a VW headlight relay. VW Headlight Dimmer Relay for 12 Volt Cars (5 Prong Unit): VW Parts | JBugs.com  this should be a plug and play. Shop around for the best price as this one is the first I came across.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #9
Also check the 12 volt fuse box at the foot of the bed. all of those 12 volt lights are fused with a ATC style fuse I believe they're called.
I'm not really sure why Ford travel put a 120 volt light above the dining table I guess halogens weren't bright enough for them back then? Don't know but I switched out that light for another one but I don't like it so I'm going to have to think of something better down the road. I barely use it anyway.
It's one of the issues I have with my coaches the way they put the switches in. Definitely think having a switch to turn the light on need coach was a smart move by the front door but why they put the under step lighting connected with the under kitchen and bath lighting I don't understand. Technology got better and now they have Network switching the back then it was a little different.
Also as soon as you can start switching out all of your halogen and fluorescent bulbs to LED. You'll like it better it'll use a lot less power the color temperatures are good today and it'll give you something to do. LOL.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #10
whats a latching relay and whats it do ??  The inverter switch on front of inverter should be on right ?  Where are the breakers and transfer switch for the inverter ? I would not check the box under bed for a fuse for the 110 light above the table right ?
Jimmy A.
1997 Foretravel U295 40'
Build # 5146

Reply #11
No the fuses under the bed are for 12 volt. The breakers under the bed are for 120 volt. I don't have automatic transfer switches so I can't tell you how yours is wired but they are under the bed as well in the foot.
I also have a different inverter than yours so I can't tell you how you're switching is but if you want the inverter on you have to turn it on. On mine there's three positions off, battery charging only, inverter. But again I have a different setup than you.
A latching relay is a two-position electrically-actuated switch. It maintains either contact position indefinitely without power applied to the coil. It is controlled by two momentary-acting switches or sensors, one that 'sets' the relay, and the other 'resets' the relay.
I'm not really that smart I got that from Google. But they use them in our coach to toggle lights on and off.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #12
1. whats a latching relay and whats it do ?? 
2. The inverter switch on front of inverter should be on right ?
3.  Where are the breakers and
 3b. transfer switch for the inverter ?
4. I would not check the box under bed for a fuse for the 110 light above the table right ?

Jimmy,
1. To expand on reply 11 the latching relay is the magic device that makes you able to turn a light on with one switch and off with another. It does the same function as a 3 way switch in your home but in a different way. Really all the switch does is supply a ground to the relay and that action changes the possession of the relays contacts.

2. If you have the OEM Freedom 2500 then yes that is what makes the inside control panel in control.

3. The breaker should be in the main 120V breaker panel on the foot of the bed. Breaker #5 should feed the sub panel

3b. Your transfer switch that transfers from the shore/generator to inverter is hid under the bed. With the 295 you should have 2 transfer switches that are somewhat doubled stacked on top of each other.  The top one is for swapping from shore to generator. The bottom is for swapping from shore/generator to inverter. So to answer you basic question this is the one you are looking for. I think this may be where you problem lies. This transfer switch may have faulty contacts or bad coil.
Now the above info (#3 & 3b) is on the assumption the wiring is OEM.

4. You should have a 12VDC fuse box along with two 120 VAC breaker boxes.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #13

This is the latching relay, shop around for better pricing:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEIXNB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #14

Here is an alternate Latching Relay, it is DPST NO.  About the same price including delivery

The SPST NO switch FT used for the water pump and fill valve has two wires crammed into the output side, one doe the device and one for indictor lights.  With a DPST NO switch you can have one wire in each terminal (input and output).

For a multiple switch lighting application the SPST NO works fine, one wire in and one out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CKRHU2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reply #15
I cannot find the latching relay, I finally have all the interior lights working , but the two switches tagged coach, ( one to the right of the entrance door on a three switch panel, and the other one on the bedroom wall) don't appear to be activating anything. If it is a latching relay issue, I cannot find the relay. Checked the cabinet above the sink, above the microwave, behind the switch in the dash panel to the right of then door??  I give up !!
Jimmy A.
1997 Foretravel U295 40'
Build # 5146

Reply #16
Jimmy,

Did you pull the false floor in the cabinet above the sink?

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #18
Jimmy, look in the space where the TV is in the BR.
Also if you remove the top drawer below the bedroom TV you can look up and see the latching relay.  Mine was labeled something about "radio" which really threw me for a loop.  Actually I believe that "Radio" was part of the name of the manufacturer of the relay. 

Richard
Jan & Richard Witt
1999 U-320  36ft WTFE
Build Number: 5478 Motorcade: 16599
2008 Roadtrek Adventurous RS Sprinter
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Jan: NO5U, Richard:KA5RIW
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #19
Also if you remove the top drawer below the bedroom TV you can look up and see the latching relay.  Mine was labeled something about "radio" which really threw me for a loop.  Actually I believe that "Radio" was part of the name of the manufacturer of the relay. 

Richard
Yeah Richard that's where mine was too. It's screwed to the inside face of the drawer cabinet underneath the TV cabinet in the bedroom. Pull out a couple of the drawers and you'll be able to feel it up there. I completely redid the area where the TV was so that's how I was able to find it. I also was confused when I saw radio on it thinking it was part of the audio system.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired