Skip to main content
Topic: Air bag tools (Read 274 times) previous topic - next topic

Air bag tools

I have finished my project, and the tool set is available.  DSD sent them to me.  With your request and his approval, I can send them directly to you.  It is a very nice kit, and made the job much easier.

I was surprised to find that the worst parts of the bags were OPPOSITE the side that is exposed to the sun.  A couple had the individual threads exposed and loose.

Rather than cutting off the ends of the supply lines, I drilled out the brass support tube in the new angle fittings.  The old nut, seal and reinforcement fit in for a nice leak-free fit, with no worries of the line becoming too short.

The nut on one of the air bags seized half-way off.  Of course it was the far side, on one of the bags without access to the opposite side.  I was able to use a recip saw with a long metal-cutting blade to cut the stud between  the metal bag crown and the mounting plate.

I removed the wheels for the job.  No doubt the bags could be replaced with the wheels on, but I also unhooked the shocks bottoms and checked them, inspected the brake pins and pads, polished the aluminum wheels, patched a spot where a tire had worn through the wheel well, and did some checking around.

I had the chassis fully blocked, which I think was a mistake.  "Next time" I will block just the axle I am working on.  The disabled suspension put a lot of weight on the jack.

I bought one of these - glad I did:  Amazon.com: ATD Tools 7229 Tire and Wheel Cart: Automotive

The "double ratchet" style of torque multiplier works great on the front wheels, but is useless on the duals, due to the distance from the lug to the handles.  I bought one of those multipliers with the crank handle, and it worked great.

Some of the shock bolts were easy to remove with a breaker bar.  One would not budge, one seized half way.  I cut them off and used new hardware.
Matt B
1998 u-320

Re: Air bag tools

Reply #1
This is my wheel remover setup.

tools to R&R wheels
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
I use the multiplier like you have with chucks setup have no problems--3/4" drive 12" long extension
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #3
I just did 2 front ones with shocks, and rear shocks only (rear bags are fine). I tell you it is so simple to remove the fenders. Nothing is glued on. Probably 5-10 minutes max to remove. 20 minutes to reinstall, including cleaning silicone, and resealing.

You also can clean, wire brush and paint stuff. The bags plates were crusty.

I did the 1st two front easy ones (rear fronts) with them on a year ago. The other front 2 bags I just did would have been impossible to get the air fitting out. As it was with the fenders off it was still a pain. Infact, the second bag I took off, I cut it off with a sawzall.

Chris

Chris and Tammy White  CDA Idaho
1997 U295 36' 3126 Cat 300 HP Build # 4998 
Former Foretravel tech & RVIA certified tech
Former owner Custom Satellite home/RV satellites 
Former owner Vans LTD  van conversions
Unemployed, panhandler, drag racer NHRA #6348

Reply #4
I have finished my project, and the tool set is available.  DSD sent them to me.  With your request and his approval, I can send them directly to you.  It is a very nice kit, and made the job much easier.

I bought one of these - glad I did:  Amazon.com: ATD Tools 7229 Tire and Wheel Cart: Automotive

I just use a square pointed shovel. Works good to lift and rotate tire as needed. Easy to store too.
Scott
Yes if someone would want to use my airbag removal tools now or in the future pm me and will set up.
If your going to be dumb, you got to be tough.
June 30, 2020
2001 U320 3610 Barn find
Build 5834

Reply #5
I just use a square pointed shovel. Works good to lift and rotate tire as needed. Easy to store too.
Scott
Yes if someone would want to use my airbag removal tools now or in the future pm me and will set up.
I used a shovel or a wrecking bar on the previous coach.  An advantage of the ATD tool is that one can rotate the tire while it is on the tool, to fit the lugs to the holes.  I probably would not have bought the tool, except I wanted to move the wheels to another spot to clean and polish them. AND I was doing all of them in a few days.
Matt B
1998 u-320

Reply #6
To wrestle a tire/wheel off and on I use a 2 wheeler hand truck. I do like the smaller sized units that are pictured that would be easier stashed in the coach.
I don't carry a spare so I would have to use a tire service on the road.
 At home the 2 wheeled hand truck works and is nice to have for other purposes around the house.
1995 U320C SE 40'
Jeep 4x4 Commander - Limited - Hemi
"The Pack"  Yogi and Diesel our Airedales -  Charlie our Boxer/Akita mix. Gone but NEVER forgotten Jake our yellow Lab.
NRA Law Enforcement Firearms instructor - Handgun/shotgun
Regional Firearms instructor for national Armored Transp. Co.

Reply #7
I just loosen the nuts, jack the side up until the tire still barely touches the ground, remove the nuts then saw it back and forth several times until it clears the studs and then roll it to where I want it to go. Easy, easy, easy. Same to put it back on. And we don't move a wheel without having a spare in the compartment.

Pierce
Pierce,  Gaylie and Koda
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof