Skip to main content
Topic: Which fresh water inlet is for city water. (Read 323 times) previous topic - next topic

Which fresh water inlet is for city water.

Hi,

I just got a 2001 U270 and I'm wondering where to connect the city water line. In the water connection bay there are 3 1/2" inlets two up high and one down low. I'm assuming that the one down low is the correct one and the upper ones are for an in bay faucet which I do not have. Is this correct? Also in which direction do you turn the valve under the sink so as not to fill the fresh water tank while connected to city water? Someone please advise.

John
Never trust a skinny cook!!!

2001 U270 Build 5833

Re: Which fresh water inlet is for city water.

Reply #1
John, if you post a photo you will get more accurate information. My 98 U270 has only one female garden hose style water inlet down low in the wet bay. It serves as both city water and water tank fill. The ball valve below the bathroom sink on mine switches to tank fill when you push it towards the front of coach (away from you). Turn off water pump when filling and when hooked to a city water connection. Many of us operate from the tank as it keeps water in the tank fresh and by flipping off water pump the likelihood of a major water leak while you are away from coach is reduced.

Your two extra inlets may be an owner installed fresh water tank fill line that fills the tank more quickly from the top via a "gravity fill."
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #2
Those 'extras' could be direct fill or tank gray/black tank flushes..... picture will resolve the questions.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Reply #3
Many of us operate from the tank as it keeps water in the tank fresh and by flipping off water pump the likelihood of a major water leak while you are away from coach is reduced.

I like this idea although I suppose you could also turn off the city water to avoid the leak. But keeping the tank fresh seems like a great idea.
John

2001 U270 Build 5833

Reply #4
In the pics below I'm assuming the city water connection is circled in green. The two connections I'm not sure about are circled in blue. Seems these might have been for an external faucet as shown in the black and white pic (from manual) also circled in blue. The faucets circled in red are a mystery and I'm assuming these were not installed at the factory.  Sloppy job who ever did it. These appear to be the external faucets (one hot one cold).
John

2001 U270 Build 5833

Reply #5
John,

Can't help you with the two mystery connections.  You can access the area behind the beauty panel without too much effort.  Open it up and see what's going on back there.

The large chrome faucet (black & white photo) with the long swivel spout was the "standard" factory unit fitted to many coaches.  Our '93 U280 came with that exact faucet.  I eventually replaced ours with smaller individual water outlets.  One of the previous owners of your coach may have attempted a similar modification.  See my version below:

What did you do to your coach today VIII
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #6
Chuck,

If one were searching for those clamps in your photo at the red arrows, what are they called and where do you buy them?

Alan & Gerri Ortiz
1996 U295 36 ft.
"Rocinante"
Hartwell, Georgia
1999 Subaru Forester
Build No. 4957 Motorcader 17399

Reply #7
...clamps...what are they called and where do you buy them?
Those clips actually came with our coach, courtesy of a prior owner, so I can't take credit.  Large one for power cord, smaller one for water hose.

Try a Google search for something like "tool clamp" or "tool hanging spring clip" or check in the hardware section at HD or Lowes.

tool hanging spring clip - Google Search

1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #8
My guess is that the original faucet froze and broke. It had a section between the hot and cold that always had water in it. The factory installed a drain valve in the bottom of that piece. Most people were not aware of it or the purpose of that valve. Even if the coach was winterized, if that was not drained it would freeze and break the faucet. Those were moen faucets and rather expensive to replace.
previous 1984 35 ft ORED 250 HP 3208 Cat       
previous 1998 40 ft U295 CAI 325 hp Cummins
previous 2003 40 Ft u320 build #6140 450 Cummins M11.                                                         
1999 Mazda Miata
Ron, Nancy, Tipper the cat, Max The dog
1997 U 270 36 ft build number 5174 8.3 Cummins

Reply #9
Hi,

I just got a 2001 U270 and I'm wondering where to connect the city water line. In the water connection bay there are 3 1/2" inlets two up high and one down low. I'm assuming that the one down low is the correct one and the upper ones are for an in bay faucet which I do not have. Is this correct? Also in which direction do you turn the valve under the sink so as not to fill the fresh water tank while connected to city water? Someone please advise.

On our U270, the fresh water hose (on reel) doubles as the fresh water tank fill.  When you turn the lever under the bathroom sink, it diverts the fresh water from the hose reel to the fresh water tank.

The 1/2" inlet at the bottom of the bay is the hookup for the black tank flush.  We use a separate (orange) hose for that..

Joe Phebus and Jaime Trujillo
2002 U270 3410  Build: 5953 Motorcader # 18595
1200W Solar, 600AH Battleborn Batteries with Victron Components
1992 Geo Tracker