Skip to main content

Topic: Oily and dirty hydraulic fluid reservoir (Read 691 times) previous topic - next topic

Oily and dirty hydraulic fluid reservoir
The hydraulic reservoir on our 2000 U320 was really dirty with caked on road dirt and oil.  More dirt than oil.

I sacrificed an old tee shirt and cleaned off the grime down to the black paint.

So, my question is:  Is this normal?

Thanks,

George...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Oily and dirty hydraulic fluid reservoir
Reply #1
George, I would say that depends on where you've been.  Dusty roads will leave your engine compartment fairly dirty.  And, when you bought the coach, the dealer details the entire area and sometimes (usually always) they apply a spray coat of...

Reply #2
Guess my question is where did the oil come from? If the reservoir was just dirty, then "normal" road dust would be the suspect, but most other areas would be coated the same way. If the reservoir was really oily and other areas were not, then I...

Reply #3
Bob,

We think alike.  That's why I wiped down the reservoir to near spotless.  I will watch it on our next trip, which is a five day journey to Nac where James Stallings will repair our delaminating slide out sides, and MOT will do some maintenance.

Reply #4
Check oil level in the reservoir when the oil is hot-- too high and it can leak out.

If oil level is OK, next "suspect" if indeed the oil is coming from the reservoir itself, is the gasket between the lid and reservoir.  Easy to replace.

Brett

Re: Oily and dirty hydraulic fluid reservoir -- Ours Leaks
Reply #5
Now that we are back out on the road, I have had an opportunity to see if the hydralulic fluid reservoir leaks while in use.  It does.  Does FOT have the gasket (seal) in stock?  Because we live on the road full-time it is not always easy to...

Reply #6
I am sure FOT ot MOT has them or can get them while you are in NAC.

Or Check with     
Cummins Southern Plains, Ltd.
Address:    7045 North Loop E
Houston, TX, 77028
Phone:    (713) 679-2220

Cummins Southern Plains, Ltd.
Address:    3707 Irving...

Reply #7
Like I said in an earlier post (maybe on the other forum), I had the same problem with dirt caked oil.  My seal was missing.  Somewhere in the past, a mechanic couldn't get the clamp on with the gasket installed, so left it off.  The blow-by or...

Reply #8

•     I have never had a leak associated with  our hydraulic oil reservoir....but....we  just had our hydraulic oil and filters changed at TN RV.
    Before we got too far into thePA, NY and CT  frost heaves and pot hole territory, on the trip...

Reply #9
I think my clamp was re-installed incorrectly.  Now I can't find the pictures someone posted showing the correct assembly.

Reply #10
George,
Are you looking for the photos that went with the instructions.
http://beamalarm.com/Documents/hydraulic_oil_and_filter_change.html

Reply #11
Barry,

I actually found them on my own.  But thanks for the back up.  My clamp is on wrong.  Do you think the gasket is still useable?

What would I look for when I take the clamp and cover off?

Reply #12
I have never taken mine off.
I will be doing it when I get back from this trip if I hav'nt melted here in Phoenix.

Reply #13
Barry,

I just went back and looked at the photos and noticed that Barry Leavitt took the photos.   Does he have an e-mail address?
My reservoir was last serviced in August of 2008 and I am wondering if the gasket would be deformed in that amount of...

Reply #14
George,
Just wipe down the area and get it as clean as possible, remove the two clamp halves, remove the reservoir cap and thoroughly wipe down and clean the disassembled parts.
Carefully inspect the double beveled "O-ring" for nicks or any...

• Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:37:01 am by Neal Pillsbury

Reply #15
That was a very messy job.  Delo 400 and road dirt create real grime. 

Reply #16
Well -- I got that job done.  Delo 400 and road dust really create some messy road grime.  I took pictures, but I forgot to change the camera setting and the photo file size is too big to post.  But thanks to Barry Leavit's good photos I could...