Skip to main content
Topic: PTL entry door strike pin lube - who knew (Read 1239 times) previous topic - next topic

PTL entry door strike pin lube - who knew

Still working on our spring "get ready" list.  Today Steve took a look at the entry door latch pin.

We usually had to slam the door quite hard to get it to firmly latch.  Last summer, the door also developed quite the squeak when going over bumps.

I learned on the Yahoo board that the pin/bolt in the door frame is actually supposed to "float".  Hmmmm...  So Steve took a look and sure enough, there was supposed to be vertical movement, it just was binding a little.  He cleaned it up, lubed it up, and now the door latches closed very reliably with little effort.  We'll find out if the squeak is gone next time we take it out.

Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Re: PTL entry door strike pin lube - who knew

Reply #1
I also was not aware of this feature.  I squirted a little Corrosion X in bak of the sliding bolt and VIOLA, it works perfectly without slamming the door.

I also was unaware of this feature.  I squirted a little Corrosion X in back of the sliding bolt and viola, it works perfectly without slamming the door.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Reply #2
Hi George,
  For whatever reason, your post can not be read. The color of your print is so light, I can not read it. All other new messages are fine. May just be my computer.

Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Reply #3
Ray,
Just run your mouse over it with the left mouse down like you are going to copy it and it will show up.  Or, if you use your majic green lantern signal ring that you got in the cereal box years ago, it will show up with a secret code.
Or did you trade that in on a girl friend in the sixth grade?
Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320

Reply #4
Steve used his Li'l Orphan Annie decoder ring and it said "Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine"....

-M
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #5
Hi Mike,
  Thanks. That took care of it. George's message now loud, and clear. My decoder ring lost its power years ago. Like many of our RV parts, they are no longer made!

Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Reply #6
Those decoder rings were something else.  I can remember running out to the mail box every day hoping the postman had finally brought it.

Note to Michael:  The girls in my sixth grade were not impressed by decoder rings.

Note to forum moderator:  Thaniks for not chastizing me for getting off topic and threatening to ban me from memberhship on the forum.  Ask around if you think I am kidding.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.