Skip to main content
Topic: Valve stems on inside rear tires (Read 992 times) previous topic - next topic

Valve stems on inside rear tires

Is it me or are those valve stem extensions just tricky by nature?  They are either too tight or too loose.  I seem to spend a lot of time fooling around with them any time I have to check the pressure on those tires.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: Valve stems on inside rear tires

Reply #1
George....  I replaced the extension on one of my rear tires.  I quickly found that they are not the normal flexible extensions used on many RVs.  These are made by Alcoa for their wheels and cost about $50 per pair from Alcoa or Foretravel.  They are fairly easy to install and tighten with an open end wrench.  I have not had to tighten mine since installing the new one.  Why did I replace it....because I did something stupid and crushed part of the thread.

George
The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Reply #2
When I add air to  the inside rear tires, I hold the valve stem extension with a pair of pliers.  That way I can't accidentally loosen it and then overtighten the extension when I put the Pressure Pro cap back on.

After new tires last month with new stems all the way around I have only had to add air pressure once and that was when I got up real early the next morning to check and set tire pressure on all 6 tires.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Reply #3
George,

By any chance are you missing the rubber plug that fills the hole and keeps the valve extension in position?
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #4
I'm throughly confused  :-\ ?  I thought that I got rid of valve stem extensions when I  got my new, to me, Foretravel.  It has one piece valve stems, which are to long, or the hole in the wheel is to small.  The stem on the inside wheel is fine, sticks right through the hole of the outside wheel and one can air it up with no problems.  But that valve stem for the outside tire is a pain :o!!  It sticks through the hole into the area between the two duals.  Very hard to get the valve cap off, and usually end up dropping it.  Consequentially the valve stem cap does not get put back on.  Guess it is still better than what I had.
1994 U225
build #4514

Reply #5
Brett asked: By any chance are you missing the rubber plug that fills the hole and keeps the valve extension in position?

No.  They are in place.

Reply #6
PatC said: " But that valve stem for the outside tire is a pain !!  It sticks through the hole into the area between the two duals.  Very hard to get the valve cap off, and usually end up dropping it.  Consequentially the valve stem cap does not get put back on.  Guess it is still better than what I had."

Pat:

Yup.  That's pretty much the way it is with big truck tires.  You should not have to take those valve caps off very often. 

You might also want to think about adding a Tire Pressure Monitoring System for added safety.

Reply #7
A solution to the outside valve cap is to switch to truck style valve caps, which allow you to check and add air without removing.  Any truck tire dealer should have them.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R