Skip to main content
Topic: Difference in digital readout panels on Xantrex and Progressive Industries EMS (Read 1109 times) previous topic - next topic

Difference in digital readout panels on Xantrex and Progressive Industries EMS

While I don't think we have a problem, I find this situation perplexing.

We have a Xantrex ProSine 3.0 and a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C.

Only in the evenings do I see this happen.  Right now the Xantrex display panel shows incoming voltage for Line 1 - 140V.  Line 2 - 139V.

The readout panel for the Progressive Industries EMS reads Line 1 - 125V.  Line 2 - 125V

Does any one know why this happens?
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: Difference in digital readout panels on Xantrex and Progressive Industries EMS

Reply #1
We don't have a Progressive EMS for comparison, but when we have had unusually high voltage readings on our built-in coach monitoring panel (we have the Xantrex 2500, IIRC), the problem has been either a poor ground connection in the campground or another unit on the same leg/circuit of the campground which had a wiring problem, polluting the ground.  When this happened, our Surge Guard indicated a "voltage on ground" error. 

We've also seen a flickering red LED on the built-in coach readout when this occurred.

Voltage is a funny thing - it's actually a difference measurement, not an absolute one.  So 125V is 125 volts above what the reference is (which should be 0 on ground).  Once can still have 125V difference between a voltage leg and "ground", yet if there's a phantom voltage on "ground", either because the connection isn't good (ground is "floating") or there's a miswired rig on the leg, then a unit which "assumes" 0 voltage on ground will display a higher reading.

So let's say there's a phantom 15 volts on Ground.  The voltage leg would be 120-125 volts above that, but a readout which assumed Ground was 0 would actually display 135-140 Volts.

In your case, if possible I would check on moving to a different site that's possibly on a different electrical circuit/leg unless the problem suddenly showed up with a particular rig's arrival (we had this happen).  It's a small but possible safety concern.

Michelle

Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Re: Difference in digital readout panels on Xantrex and Progressive Industries EMS

Reply #2
George....  I have noticed the same difference.  I have one of the portable EMS units and it normally reads lower, voltage-wise, than the Xantrax unit in our 2003 U295.  I think it is a Prosine 3.0.  Normally I check the voltage before I plug in with another voltmeter, but I don't recall which is closer (EMS or Xantrex) to the voltmeter.  Note that I see this difference without any obvious problems as shown by my RV circuit checker (see previous posts) or the EMS unit.

George
The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

I Made a Mistake in the Basic Premise of This Topic. I Am Truly Sorry

Reply #3
What I reported as a difference in the read out between the EMS digital readout and the Xantrex panel was incorrectly described.

Here is my error.  I was looking at the 10-year-old and original "Power Line Monitor" bearing the Foretravel name and logo.  It is this device that is giving erroneous information. 

When using a voltmeter (thanks, George Hatfield) and comparing it to the Progressive Industries EMS digital readout,  I am within one volt between the two.  I will be more careful in future postings. 

:(How long do I have to sit in the corner? :-[
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Reply #4
George.....  I made the same mistake.  The Xantrex panel does not have the line voltage readings.  It is the panel next to it (Power line monitor, Foretravel).

George
The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Reply #5
I was moments away from calling Xantrex and asking for warranty service, but decided to take one more close look at the panel and discovered my mistake.  A real "DUH!" moment.  It is comforting to know that I have company.