Skip to main content
Topic: Adding ATF to the fuel tank (Read 1201 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding ATF to the fuel tank

We have an M11 450 Cummins.  It has been suggested to me that I should add a quart or two of ATF to each fill up of diesel.

Is this a good idea?  What are the pros and cons?
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: Adding ATF to the fuel tank

Reply #1
George, if you Google "ATF diesel additive" it will present you with many discussions on the subject.  It's toss-up 50-50.  Some do it, others say stay away.  I personally would stay away.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/alaska/43641-atf-fuel-additive.html
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #2
ATF in the fuel is a olde truck drivers remedy for cleaning the injectors.  There are much better products on the market. but there is snake oil on the market also!  So do your homework well, and don't pay attention to the marketing.  Forget the ATF.  If you had said a couple of ounces of Canola oil, I might have said you were onto something.
1994 U225
build #4514

Reply #3

George:

I was told by another Foretraveler with the M11 to use additives specifically designed for our diesels. I got mine @ Wal-Mart in the silver jug it is called Diesel Kleen. Will use it on the next fill up.
Dave West
99 U320 40'
05 CRV

Reply #4
George,
There are lots of different additives for diesel fuel.  The difference is not only in brand names, but in the purpose of the additive.  The purposes range from increasing lubricity,  increasing cetane, preventing gelling, killing alge, and cleaning injectors and "eliminating" water.  As you must be discovering, before pouring a additive in the tank, there should be a reason.  Some problems, like alge, are mostly found in marine applications, but can also plague our diesel tanks, in certain locations of the country.  Other problems like gelling are found during the winter months in the north country.  Many claims of some additive companies are pure snake oil!  As to ingredents of the additives, they range from alcohol to Jet A to Simple Green.
1994 U225
build #4514

Reply #5
and if your ATF is red you could get a fine of 10K if they dip your tanks.
BTW i have had my pickup dipped but not the FT yet. I assume when prices hit 4 bucks again they will start up the check points again.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #6
No more ATF for me.  I am glad I started this topic.  A $10,000 fine would buy a couple of nice upgrades to our coach or buy a whole lot of fuel.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Reply #7
George,
I don't know if the ATF has enough red dye in it to show up in a sample taken from a 100 gallon tank.  The actual red dye that they use to dye the off road fuel is nasty stuff.  If we spilled any on the top of the transports, it would dye the aluminum red and not wash off.  It isn't your typical red food coloring.
1994 U225
build #4514

Reply #8
True but if the probe finds any even a trace of red her they figure you have been running it.  Not worth the risk... IMO
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon