Skip to main content

Topic: Adding ATF to the fuel tank (Read 543 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding ATF to the fuel tank
We have an M11 450 Cummins.  It has been suggested to me that I should add a quart or two of ATF to each fill up of diesel.

Is this a good idea?  What are the pros and cons?

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Adding ATF to the fuel tank
Reply #1
George, if you Google "ATF diesel additive" it will present you with many discussions on the subject.  It's toss-up 50-50.  Some do it, others say stay away.  I personally would stay away.

• PatC
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
ATF in the fuel is a olde truck drivers remedy for cleaning the injectors.  There are much better products on the market. but there is snake oil on the market also!  So do your homework well, and don't pay attention to the marketing.  Forget the...

Reply #3

George:

I was told by another Foretraveler with the M11 to use additives specifically designed for our diesels. I got mine @ Wal-Mart in the silver jug it is called Diesel Kleen. Will use it on the next fill up.

• Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:04:33 pm by Dave West

• PatC
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
George,
There are lots of different additives for diesel fuel.  The difference is not only in brand names, but in the purpose of the additive.  The purposes range from increasing lubricity,  increasing cetane, preventing gelling, killing alge, and...

Reply #5
and if your ATF is red you could get a fine of 10K if they dip your tanks.
BTW i have had my pickup dipped but not the FT yet. I assume when prices hit 4 bucks again they will start up the check points again.

Reply #6
No more ATF for me.  I am glad I started this topic.  A $10,000 fine would buy a couple of nice upgrades to our coach or buy a whole lot of fuel.

• PatC
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
George,
I don't know if the ATF has enough red dye in it to show up in a sample taken from a 100 gallon tank.   The actual red dye that they use to dye the off road fuel is nasty stuff.  If we spilled any on the top of the transports, it would dye...

Reply #8
True but if the probe finds any even a trace of red her they figure you have been running it.  Not worth the risk... IMO