Skip to main content
Topic: KEEPING WATER OUT OF ILLUMINATED DOOR HANDLE (Read 881 times) previous topic - next topic

KEEPING WATER OUT OF ILLUMINATED DOOR HANDLE

Recently someone desribed a method they used to channel out rain water that gets into the handle.  I can't seem to locate that particular response.  So if that person would respond, I'd be most grateful.  Of course, other techniques  escecially describing how to keep water out would be  most welcome, too.

Thanks
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: KEEPING WATR OUT OF ILLUMINATED DOOR HANDLE

Reply #1
George,

Here is what I do, seems to work but YMMV

I add a little sealant between the metal holders and the gaskets, just a very thin coat to help with the seal.  I actually loosen the holder and apply the sealant right to the rubber gasket and then tighten down the holder instead of trying to run a bead of sealant around it, keeps it looking clean.  I do the same on the backside of the gasket when I'm replacing / repairing them.  Again not much is needed, i wipe it one with my finger to get a thin coating.

The selected media item is not currently available. The gaskets also have a raised edge around them, on the very bottoms I remove a small section of this raised area, on the front and back sides, so that any water which might get in behind will have a way to drain out. I tried to take a picture of this so I hope you can see what I'm referring to.

When I recently replaced the gaskets I was able to get a replacement lower gasket at FOT but not the upper one (the 03's have a doorbell in the upper part so the upper oval gasket is a bit bigger than other years).  MOT had the smaller top oval.  Luckily I had a spare upper gasket in my parts bin, so I should be good for several more years.  Unless someone has a source for those upper gaskets, next time I bet I'll be cutting my own out.

Re: KEEPING WATER OUT OF ILLUMINATED DOOR HANDLE

Reply #2
Steve,

I think the idea of removing a very small piece of the gasket is BRILLIANT!
I also like the use of a very thin application of sealant.  I will do both.  And I will apply a thin bead around the Lucite handle where it enters the metal bracket.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.