Skip to main content
Topic: Where might I find the icemaker outlet if I don't have an icemaker? (Read 956 times) previous topic - next topic

Where might I find the icemaker outlet if I don't have an icemaker?

Looking at what's wired to run off the inverter, the schematics call out an outlet for the icemaker which is located behind the icemaker.

Except we don't have an icemaker.  And the outlet isn't shown as optional (like some others are).

The selected media item is not currently available.

If you were this unused outlet in a 2003 U320 40' sort-of AGDS floorplan (at least the front half is AGDS), where would I find you?  Somewhere I might be able to run the fridge off the inverter if desired?

Michelle

Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Re: Where might I find the icemaker outlet if I don't have an icemaker?

Reply #1
My ice maker outlet is under the pantry cabinet.  So narrow the search to the galley area and look behind a floor cabinet that would fit the U-Line ice maker.
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #2
Yours is probably like mine. There is a double gang outlet behind the refer. Take off the refer vent & you will see the refer plugged in on one side and the other outlet is for the ice maker. One side is on the inverter and the other is not.
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #3
Thanks, Barry - we'll test that out tomorrow.  Hadn't thought of the outlets in a duplex each being on different circuits...

Michelle
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Reply #4
Steve, Michelle. Mine is outside, in the fridge compartment. There are two duplex outlets. One has a brown cover, the other a white. I do not know without looking which is inverter powered and which is not. Will look the next time I am out
 there.
Horace
2003 U 320
2003 CR-V
No RV! Have hung up the keys.
In the past: 2016 Winnebago Era, 1994 Foretravel U240, 1995 Foretravel U240 (wide body), 1999 Foretravel 320, 36 Foot, 2003 Foretravel U320 38 foot,

Reply #5
Michelle! The fridge is plugged into the upper of the two, it has the brown face plate. The icemaker is plugged into the lower with the white face plate. I assume the fridge is plugged into the one with inverter power.
Horace
2003 U 320
2003 CR-V
No RV! Have hung up the keys.
In the past: 2016 Winnebago Era, 1994 Foretravel U240, 1995 Foretravel U240 (wide body), 1999 Foretravel 320, 36 Foot, 2003 Foretravel U320 38 foot,

Reply #6
Horace,  In the back of the reefer  ( outside ) there are two outlets, one is 110 off the shore line and the other comes off the INVERTER. To test this, turn inverter off, use multimeter to see if you have voltage on one and then go to shore power and check the other outlet,  I would not think that you could run a reefer off the inverter.

Gary B
95 U280

Reply #7
You can run the reefer off of the inverter.  BUT, you have to be aware of this if you are boondocking. The reefer uses a herd of amps.  I run the reefer on the inverter because when we are driving, the boost switch keeps the house batteries up and we save propane.
You need close monitoring if you do this.
Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320

Reply #8
Michael, I'm not clear on your statement about boost switch & driving?  You know that when you drive the alternator charges the house batteries.  The boost switch is intended to aid while starting with low coach starting batteries.
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #9
Here is a photo of the 2 outlets behind the refer vent cover.

2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #10
Back from a day at the coach. 

We did confirm there's an inverter-powered duplex outlet behind the fridge.  Something is plugged into it (we assume the icemaker that's actually IN the fridge?).  The fridge was plugged into the non-inverted outlet.  When we swapped it over, the fridge would run on electric.  We assumed the fridge's icemaker might be what's plugged into that inverter-powered outlet so you could have ice while the fridge is running on gas....  Good assumption?

So...  assuming we're not boondocking (and using the inverted power while driving), it sounds like it's OK to run the fridge on this inverter-fed outlet?

-M

Reply #11
I had to run my refer on inverter while parked at a Wal Mart one time because I was having trouble with the LP.
It draws a LOT of amps. I don't remember how many but I realized why they don't put it on the inverter.
If you are driving with the alternator charging you can do it but it is a lot of additional amps for the alternator.
I don't know why you would want to do it as it uses so little gas.
The Batteries only have so many cycles in them.
2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #12
I had to run my refer on inverter while parked at a Wal Mart one time because I was having trouble with the LP.
It draws a LOT of amps.

I don't know why you would want to do it as it uses so little gas.
The Batteries only have so many cycles in them.

I was curious because last year we got pretty low on propane on our trip (I cook a lot), and we had quite a lot in the fridge.    It would be nice to have an option besides running the genset.

I thought I saw in our circuit schematic that the fridge was a 2.7 amp load...  might need to go back and check.

-M