Skip to main content

Topic: Making Splices in 12V Wiring (Read 847 times) previous topic - next topic

Making Splices in 12V Wiring
[move][/move]I find the thin tubular splices for use with 12V wiring to be very difficult to use.  And, apparently, I am not alone judging from the condition of the four splices I removed from the wires on my old porch light.

I do have a tool for...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Making Splices in 12V Wiring
Reply #1
George, sounds okay.  Just make sure the wire insulation is not disturbed or compromised as you crimp, and that there is no exposed copper from the wire.

Reply #2
If you are talking about a Butt Splice

You need to crimp the center where the wire is electrically to get a good contact.
If you are crimping the end where there is plastic and the wire insulation is thicker,
it may prevent a good connection.
You...

Reply #3
I like to use "Yellow Jacket" splices from ELK.  They can pierce through the insulation, so they don't require stripping of the insulation, although I always do.  They work on 18-30 gauge wire, so you are a bit more limited on what you can put in...

Reply #4
The phone company use to use them all the time on their 24 gauge telco wire. I used the silicon filled ones in my business. As you said the top is great for metering your connections without taking it apart.

Reply #5
I am learning new things almost everytime I come to either Forum, and my learning is enhanced here with the incusion of images within the body of the message.  I really appreciate the sharing of information.  I never am afraid to ask any kind of...

• PatC
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6

The phone company use to use them all the time on their 24 gauge telco wire. I used the silicon filled ones in my business. As you said the top is great for metering your connections without...

Reply #7
Butt splice and other crimp-on connections can be difficult to get right.  The problem with the ELK connectors is they only go up to 18 gauge and they are not "in-line".  Many wires in a coach are larger than that.  There are several ways to get...

• rhawk6
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
George , all of my guys use a crimper that crimps on the top end of the pliers past the hinge ,it gives us more leverage.Look in the electrical dept there at Lowe's.CRS cant remember the brand name.should cost in the $ 25.00 to $ 35.00 range.

• Dave Head
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Spend the extra money and get a ratcheting crimper. You will get a more
consistent crimp. They can even be calibrated. We used to be required to
use calibrated crimpers for nuclear work, and certified for crimping the
'big stuff' - like 4160V...

Reply #10
Dave,

I, too, have ratcheting crimpers (Ideal, similar to AMP) but I find they do not work well with some of the crimp terminals that are not the same size from end to end.  It has proven to be very hard for me to find the proper crimp terminals...