Skip to main content
Topic: Cruise control speed fine adjustment (Read 1262 times) previous topic - next topic

Cruise control speed fine adjustment

Here's a tip that Steve discovered "accidentally" (and a test post for Peter).

While the cruise control buttons don't actually have an "accelerate" and "decelerate" silkscreened onto them, when in cruise if you press the (I think it's) "resume" you'll speed up a little and (I think it's) "set" will slow you down a little.  At least that's how it works in our '03.

We use this to "tweak" our cruising RPM for best fuel economy. 

Michelle
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Re: Cruise control speed fine adjustment

Reply #1
Here goes Test!  And by the way, my 97 U270 cam with the G-1 smart wheel
which does not illuminate when the driving lights are turned on :-(  But the
Set & Resume buttons work the same way.

Peter
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #2
Actually, on my 03 one click on the resume or set buttons increases or decreases the speed, respectively, by one mph. So that cruising at 58 mph on cruise control, two clicks on the resume button results in 60 mph. The same is true on my CR-V!
No RV! Have hung up the keys.
In the past: 2016 Winnebago Era, 1994 Foretravel U240, 1995 Foretravel U240 (wide body), 1999 Foretravel 320, 36 Foot, 2003 Foretravel U320 38 foot,

Reply #3
Yep, works the same way on the "Smartwheel" on my '99 U320. Can also use "set" and "resume" buttons to increase the idle speed when airing up.

Reply #4
BUT.... you have to be careful about the lifetime cycles of the switches if you "drive" using only the cruise control switches.  I found that out with my car in the '70s.  I drove using the resume & coast buttons to set my speeds almost exclusively (with my feet in the comfort position).  Eventually, I wore the switches out and had to replace them.
Had fun and relaxed while they worked!!  But, probably cheap to replace relative to a FT smart wheel switch.
Just a thought!!
Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320

Reply #5
Unless I am mistaken the STALK on which the cruise controls are mounted is a standard GM Stalk that should be readily available.