Skip to main content

Topic: Refrigerator Maintenance (Read 613 times) previous topic - next topic

Refrigerator Maintenance
I was performing the annual on the Norcold (1997 vintage) and I'm concerned with the amount of rust developing in what looks like the ammonia system.  Can anyone help by looking at the pictures if the condition is unsafe?

Re: Refrigerator Maintenance
Reply #1
There are only two main failures with gas RV refrigerators (Dometic, Norcold and selected other).

#1 The RV refrigerator is run unleveled causing the cooling unit boiler to overhead, block and crack.

#2 The RV refrigerator cooling unit's steel...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
This is a test of an email reply to a "notification" on Tech Topics subject:
Refrigerator Maintenance.

(This is now a modification to my post performed on the Forum site [in parenthesis].  The email got posted w/o a hitch)

Looking good!

Now to test...

• Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:52:40 pm by Peter B. Martin

Reply #3
Peter, Now you are showing off.  :D

• Rick Zika
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4
Hello Peter B, We just replaced our  RM4804 (ammonia leak) with a N841. I purchased it from PPL, total cost with freight to our home address was $1252.28. I had to remove door and hinge to remove old frig. and also to get  new frig. in. The N841...

• Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:40:38 pm by Rick Zika

Reply #5
Rick, that price was for a new fridge unit?  How far fom PPL (Houston?) are you?  Besides getting the old and new units in/out of the coach, how difficult a job is it?

Reply #6
Peter,

Removing the Dometic RM4804 from a MID ENTRY U240 (and replacing with same size unit) can be done by removing the inside grab bar-- then everything goes out/in.

No idea as to whether this is as easy on the front entry bus style, particularly...

• Rick Zika
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #7
Peter B,  list price $1093.59 no tax, (N841) plus shipping $158.69. Ordered from PPL Houston TX. But the new frig. was shipped from Indianapolis In. to Edgar Springs, Mo. 65462
As Brett said in his post, you have to take off the grab bar, I also...

Reply #8
Thanks Rick, this is very helpfull.  I know I have problems with the Norcold in the not too distant future as on average the unit is turned on and off about 8 times a year (not a full timer).  My father-in-law (RIP) used to tell me "just turn it...