Skip to main content
Topic: WHEEL ALIGNMENT (Read 875 times) previous topic - next topic

WHEEL ALIGNMENT

I have just finished going through all the service records on our coach dating back to 2000.  I did not come across any documentation of wheel alignment.  We just had all six tires replaced. They were five years old.  Absolutely no uneven or unusual wear was present.  We are at about 100,000 miles.

Question:  How critical is wheel alignment and where should I get it done?

Some interesting finds:

1)  We are on our third slideout room bladder.
2)  Lots and lots of water leaks in first year, including in the slideout windows.  Hmmm -- wonder if that has contributed to our slideroom short wall  delamination.
3)  I was amazed at the huge number of warranty issues that were addressed in the first year.  I am glad that the previous owner was dilligent about staying on top of problems.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: WHEEL ALIGNMENT

Reply #1
If you did not see any wear on the tires and it is not pulling to one side when you drive than it is probably aligned.
But after I got my new tires I thought it was a good time to get a wheel alignment.
Tires are too expensive.
I had it done at the Foretravel factory.
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #2
Same for us, when we replaced all the tires we felt it was time to have the alignment done.  We had the factory do it, they have a separate bay from the main service one where that work is done and have a nice laser system to get everything set up just right.

Reply #3
When I put new tires on last year I had them do a 4 wheel alignment check.  All specs were near perfect and required no adjustments. They had a flat rate of approx $150.00 whether any adjustments are needed or not.  At the time I did not know what the specs were and it was a Saturday. I called the Foretravel hot line and spoke with someone who gave all of the info to the technician. There are some preferences as to how the front end is set up so you may want to get that info ahead of time so that you can give it to the tech. The tire shop I used allowed me in the shop and watch all phases of the tasks and we discussed the alignment numbers as the procedure was being done. On their recommendation I had only the front tires spin balanced and one tire took one ounce as I recall. The coach rides so smooth after the new tires it is amazing. Here is one thing I learned about front end alignment a long time ago, (although the alignment equipment was not as good) if it is within specs and exhibits no bad habits leave it alone. Trying to tweak it to perfection can take hours and may make handling worse.
Rick

Reply #4
One factor to note in scheduling a wheel alignment is to make sure the coach is loaded just the way you expect to travel.  Alignment can vary with wheel loading.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R