Skip to main content

Topic: Replacing Shocks with Koni's and Lug Nut Torque (Read 1061 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacing Shocks with Koni's and Lug Nut Torque
After much research, using the ForeForums great search capability, and advice from Barry & Cindy and Barry Beam, I'm ready to start.

Starting with the front end:

• Received my Koni FSDs from Summit Racing.

• Bought 3/4" sockets and wrench from Harbor...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 01:47:01 pm by Harvey Nelson

Re: Replacing Shocks with Koni's and Servicing the Brakes
Reply #1
Harvey,

I am very impressed.  As a younger man I once changed shocks on my 1964 Ford Falcon and that was pretty easy.  Would never think of tackling shocks on our U320.   Keep in mind that most shops charge somewhere between $80 to $125/hour --so...

Reply #2
Harvey,

What torque multiplier did you use?  The times12 website for TIA products list theirs at $619.  Ouch!

Reply #3
I concur on the ouch.  However, I followed the lead of another Foretravel poster (don't remember who) and found one on EBay for $350.  While still pricey I am glad that I bought it - It is a great easy to use product.  It works like a charm on...

Reply #4
I second Harvey's bad experience at Cummins in Bakersfield.  The RV tech is arrogant and a snob.
I will very carefully research any future Cummins facility, but Bakersfield CA is a place I would not re-visit or recommend.

Looks like I will ask MOT...

Reply #5
Harvey,

I'd be careful oiling wheel lugs.  Torque recommendations are usually based on dry bolts unless specified.  If lug nuts don't spin on freely, try wire brushing the studs.  If that doesn't work, try another nut.  If it still sticks, replace...

Reply #6
CORRECT.

Wheel lug bolt/nut torque is based on clean DRY threads.

Brett Wolfe

Reply #7
My thanks to both of the Bretts. 
Apparently I made a poor, what I thought was a, logical assumption.
Any suggestions on how to correct my situation?

Reply #8
Harvey,

I would do NOTHING. 

At 456 ft-lbs lightly oiled, you are slightly overstretching the threads, but not to a point where this should be dangerous.

And, as always when the wheels have been removed, re-check torque after a few hundred miles. ...

Reply #9
Tell me again what the torque should be set at on lug nuts?  This time I will write it down.

Reply #10
Brett,

Did you get the fact that the torque is based on a dry stud from Alcoa?  I just spoke with a friend of mine who said he went to a lot of trouble to find out that in fact Chevrolet's wheel torque settings were (at least at the time he...

Re: Replacing Shocks with Koni's and Lug Nut Torque
Reply #11
John,

Torque values are always spec'd for clean, dry threads unless a certain lubricant is specified.  Over torquing risks exceeding the yield strength of the fastener, causing plastic deformation and shortening its life.

Regards,

Brett

• PatC
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
"Threaded fastener analysis has shown that most of the energy applied goes into overcoming the friction that exists under the head of the fastener and in the threads...Together these two sources can typically be as much as 80% to 90% of the...

Reply #13
snip

This is a Cummins Coach Care in Bakersfield.  On my last service there they forgot to tighten the oil filter and it started to leak oil big time as I pulled out of a camp ground (about 200 miles later) and stopped to attach my toad.  It was...

• PatC
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
George,
I look at the following site first, plus I also post there:  http://www.rvservicereviews.com/
But you can't depend on it 100% , cause some folks just don't know what to look for until it bites them, and then its to late.
Pat

Reply #15
Harvey,

I carefully went through the Alcoa Wheel Service Manual (mine is dated Jan '99 - proper for my 2000 coach) and determined that you did it exactly correctly!

For hub located wheels as mine and I assume all Foretravels are, they say (on pages...

• Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:08:12 pm by Dick Mason

Reply #16
Thank you very much Dick.

Reply #17
Dick Mason was kind enough to send me copies of the relevant pages from the Alcoa Wheel Service Manual dtd Jan 1999.
See the attached pages 22, 23, and 24 ( 3 attachments ).
The diagrams match my situation exactly.

Reply #18
Here is the link to the 2008 Alcoa manual:
http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/north_america/en/hdtt/tech_service/Service_1120_2008.pdf

For those of us with stud located wheels the torque information (on page 32) with 30 Wt oil is 350 to 400 lbs. and...

Reply #19
John,
Thanks for the newer copy of the Alcoa manual.  It was comforting to see that their recommendations for installing both stud located and hub piloted wheels have not changed from my earlier edition.  As it is obvious that over the years...

• Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:11:01 pm by Dick Mason

Reply #20
Dick, Am I to assume that my 95 with BUDD type wheels is what you are terming Stud Located. On mine the rear wheels have a threaded stud that fastens the inner wheel to the hub and a nut that fastens the outer wheel.  Maybe I have the wrong...

Reply #21
Gary,
Yes your descriptioin of BUDD wheels (Sorry,I am not familiar with the term although I had them on my previous SOB motorhome) exactly matches the Alcoa description of Stud Located Wheels.  In my description I did not go into the fact that...

Reply #22
Apparently The Budd Company was the originator of the design for their namesake wheels.  Since Budd still exists, Alcoa apparently is using a generic name.  You can still get Budd wheel studs and nuts as well as the special square 13/16" socket...