Skip to main content
Topic: SAFE ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURES (Read 988 times) previous topic - next topic

SAFE ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURES

I had a glitch last week and lost my VMSpc screen.  I can't remember what the engine temperture should be before driving.
Can anyone supply that number?

Also,  how long should I idle before turning the engine off?

Thank you.
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: SAFE ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURES

Reply #1
George, what I do is drive off anytime after there is full air pressure.  Usually not very much power needed to get one out of a camping/plugged-in situaation, so there is not much risk of causing any engine damage or premature wear.  Like any pilot, you need to make sure all systems are pointing in the right direction before heading out...air pressure is #1, oil pressure, etc.  On the other hand if the engine is cold and you plan to get to 60 mph after starting the engine, I would give it a few minutes until the temp gauge stars to move some.  (Use your engine preheater before firing her up if you're in a hurry)
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #2
To add to Peter's post-- when idling to warm up/air up enough to start moving, use the cruise control to select high idle (1,000 to 1,000 RPM).  Better for the engine and quicker air up.

And in shutting off, it really depends on how hard you have been pushing the engine just before you want to shut it down.

If you have just pulled a 6% grade and pulled into a rest area, 3 minutes is Caterpillar and Cummins recommendation.

But, if you have exited the freeway and driven even a couple of blocks at low speed to a CG and idles up their drive, even one minute is sufficient, as the turbo has not been working hard (has already started to cool down).  If you have an EGT gauge, you already know this.  And certainly, from the CG office to your site-- as soon as you arrive, you are safe to shut it down.

Most idle their engine much longer than any engine manufacturer suggests.

Brett Wolfe
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #3
Brett, the 97 U270 came with a first generation smart wheel (no lights).  Does the cruise control work the same way in this configuration to "fast idle"?  How would I increase the idle using the cruise control while stopped?
Peter & Beth Martin
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #4
Hi Peter,
  On my 1997 , when stopped, I hit the set/on button, on left, then hit the top button on the right side. Sorry I can't tell you what the two right butttons are labeled. They wore off years ago. The top right side button will set my RPMs to 1200, the lower right side button goes for 850 RPMs. Hit the lower left side button, off, and it goes to start idle RPMs. I hope this helps.

Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Reply #5
Raymond, thanks for the input.  I see you have a 1997 coach, does it have the King Controls Cruise/Throttle?  Or, has it been changed to an air operated throttle?
Peter & Beth Martin
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #6
Hi Peter,
  I have no idea! That's not good. I have never had an issue with the throttle. Is there a way to identify which system I have?

Thanks,

Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Reply #7
Yes.  If you raise the bed, it will be on the left side as you look toward the rear of the coach.  Mine was refurbished by King Controls as a courtesy last year as I had some issues which may not have been the throttle anyway.  In the picture you will be able to identify it by the rusty look.
Peter & Beth Martin
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #8
Peter, Raymond's coach has the Cummins M11, the throttle should be built into the engine ECU, as for the King Control, mine failed twice, after that I changed it over to the air throttle, as long as I have air I have a throttle, no more get home kit for me.
 Bill Willett 97 U270
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #9
Thanks, Bill.  I love the C8.3 in my short pusher.  At 325 HP and enough torque (I think it's about 925 lbs-ft) it'll take me anywhere.  And I get the advantage that it only takes 20 qts of oil for an oil change (unlike the M-11 Big Boy)
Peter & Beth Martin
Cincinnati, OH

Smart Wheel

Reply #10
Raymond,

Do you know that you can replace your Smart Wheel?  You don't get lighted controls, but you get an updated look and know what the buttons do.

Regards,

Brett
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R