Skip to main content

Topic: SAFE ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURES (Read 402 times) previous topic - next topic

SAFE ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURES
I had a glitch last week and lost my VMSpc screen.  I can't remember what the engine temperture should be before driving.
Can anyone supply that number?

Also,  how long should I idle before turning the engine off?

Thank you.

Re: SAFE ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURES
Reply #1
George, what I do is drive off anytime after there is full air pressure.  Usually not very much power needed to get one out of a camping/plugged-in situaation, so there is not much risk of causing any engine damage or premature wear.  Like any...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
To add to Peter's post-- when idling to warm up/air up enough to start moving, use the cruise control to select high idle (1,000 to 1,000 RPM).  Better for the engine and quicker air up.

And in shutting off, it really depends on how hard you have...

Reply #3
Brett, the 97 U270 came with a first generation smart wheel (no lights).  Does the cruise control work the same way in this configuration to "fast idle"?  How would I increase the idle using the cruise control while stopped?

Reply #4
Hi Peter,
  On my 1997 , when stopped, I hit the set/on button, on left, then hit the top button on the right side. Sorry I can't tell you what the two right butttons are labeled. They wore off years ago. The top right side button will set my RPMs...

Reply #5
Raymond, thanks for the input.  I see you have a 1997 coach, does it have the King Controls Cruise/Throttle?  Or, has it been changed to an air operated throttle?

Reply #6
Hi Peter,
  I have no idea! That's not good. I have never had an issue with the throttle. Is there a way to identify which system I have?

Thanks,

Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320

Reply #7
Yes.  If you raise the bed, it will be on the left side as you look toward the rear of the coach.  Mine was refurbished by King Controls as a courtesy last year as I had some issues which may not have been the throttle anyway.  In the picture you...

Reply #8
Peter, Raymond's coach has the Cummins M11, the throttle should be built into the engine ECU, as for the King Control, mine failed twice, after that I changed it over to the air throttle, as long as I have air I have a throttle, no more get home...

Reply #9
Thanks, Bill.  I love the C8.3 in my short pusher.  At 325 HP and enough torque (I think it's about 925 lbs-ft) it'll take me anywhere.  And I get the advantage that it only takes 20 qts of oil for an oil change (unlike the M-11 Big Boy)

Smart Wheel
Reply #10
Raymond,

Do you know that you can replace your Smart Wheel?  You don't get lighted controls, but you get an updated look and know what the buttons do.

Regards,

Brett