Skip to main content

Topic: What is the fuss over red dye. (Read 510 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the fuss over red dye.
Hey guys --

At first I thought the problem of adding ATF was because it contains some red dye.  But I gather there is another product out there with lots of red dye in it that is not legally allowed in our engines.   I have absolutely no idea what...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: What is the fuss over red dye.
Reply #1
The red dye is an additive purely for identification & distribution of diesel fuel for off road use by farmers, heavy  machinery, etc.  It does not include the federal tax for highway use.  State taxes vary by state for non-hwy use.

Reply #2
Red diesel fuel is only slightly different chemically from regular automotive diesel fuel, but there can be a significant difference in cost.

The cheaper red diesel fuel could conceivably work in place of the more expensive automotive diesel...

Reply #3
Peter and Barry:

Thanks for the answers.  I really had no idea of this whatsoever.  So a big farm owner, who just happens to have a diesel motorhome probably would be wise to NOT fill up the coach on the farm before taking the family on a vacation.  >:D

Reply #4
Only if he wants to pay a large fine. I have had two of my vehicles tanks dipped in the last 5 or so years.

Reply #5
Can they do a check to see if it is transmission fliud instead of the red dye?
If you use ATF, save your last receipt and mileage.

Reply #6
Probably what they would do is fine you, and then you would have to take it up with the judge.  Millions of dollars and many lawyers later, and along with the 8 x 10 glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a blind judge with a seeing eye...

Reply #7
Interesting side note.  The day after I posted my question we were driving in Oakhurst, CA and I saw a facility advertising "Red Diesel".  So now I know what it is and it is not for me.   I no longer use ATF.