Skip to main content
Topic: What is the fuss over red dye. (Read 1077 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the fuss over red dye.

Hey guys --

At first I thought the problem of adding ATF was because it contains some red dye.  But I gather there is another product out there with lots of red dye in it that is not legally allowed in our engines.  I have absolutely no idea what this is.

What is this stuff?
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: What is the fuss over red dye.

Reply #1
The red dye is an additive purely for identification & distribution of diesel fuel for off road use by farmers, heavy  machinery, etc.  It does not include the federal tax for highway use.  State taxes vary by state for non-hwy use.
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #2
Red diesel fuel is only slightly different chemically from regular automotive diesel fuel, but there can be a significant difference in cost.

The cheaper red diesel fuel could conceivably work in place of the more expensive automotive diesel fuel, but that would defeat the purpose of a fuel tax.

In order to ensure that home heating oil, which is minimally taxed, is not used as diesel fuel, which can be heavily taxed, revenue agents require home heating oil to receive a special red dye. This liquid red dye can be detected in even the smallest samples taken for examination.

Using red diesel for reasons other than home heating is generally considered a criminal act, since the buyer did not pay the proper tax for regular diesel fuel. If there is reasonable cause to inspect a vehicle's fuel tank or storage tank, inspectors can quickly and conclusively identify the presence of red diesel and take appropriate action against the offender. Without the creation of red diesel, it would take a trained chemist to differentiate between home heating oil and automotive diesel fuel.

Different countries use different solvent dyes to create their red diesel, but the purpose is generally the same. The dye has no negative effects on the fuel itself, but it does allow revenue agents to determine at a glance if a violation has occurred.
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #3
Peter and Barry:

Thanks for the answers.  I really had no idea of this whatsoever.  So a big farm owner, who just happens to have a diesel motorhome probably would be wise to NOT fill up the coach on the farm before taking the family on a vacation.  >:D
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Reply #4
Only if he wants to pay a large fine. I have had two of my vehicles tanks dipped in the last 5 or so years.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #5
Can they do a check to see if it is transmission fliud instead of the red dye?
If you use ATF, save your last receipt and mileage.
1993 U300, 6v92
build 4366
USAF retired, Flight Engineer, C124, C130
 ATP, A & E.  & ex AI

Reply #6
Probably what they would do is fine you, and then you would have to take it up with the judge.  Millions of dollars and many lawyers later, and along with the 8 x 10 glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a blind judge with a seeing eye dog, you still might end up like Arlo Guthrie.
Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320

Reply #7
Interesting side note.  The day after I posted my question we were driving in Oakhurst, CA and I saw a facility advertising "Red Diesel".  So now I know what it is and it is not for me.  I no longer use ATF.