Skip to main content
Topic: Cargo Weight Distribution  (Read 822 times) previous topic - next topic

Cargo Weight Distribution

Now I hope I spelled that right!

We'll be moving into our dearly loved '99 U320 very soon and since I don't see a topic on weight distribution and this is a very important aspect of RVing especially Full-timing - It would be a good opportunity for us to contribute to balancing the weight of all the precious belongings we carry in our coaches -

Please contribute how you balance your weight - Where do you store heavier items - How often do you get coach and tow weighted ETC ETC ETC
Virginia Cunningham
Motorcader # 16992
'99 U320 40'
'06 Black Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab

Re: Cargo Weight Distribution

Reply #1
We get our coach weighed at the FMCA Conventions.
They weigh each corner of the coach so you know if either corner is to heavy.
That is the only way to know where you need to shift any weight.
Each coach is different so what is good for one may be different on another.
Foretravels are fairly well distributed and have the extra carrying capacity.
If you need your Coach vehicle weight (GVCR) it can be found at
http://beamalarm.com/Documents/foretravel_vehicle_weight.htm
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #2
As I said in earlier posts, if you have a moving company/warehouse/storage facility nearby, you can go there and ask them to weigh you.  They weigh their moving vans when they leave to figure the charges.

I called the local ones and found one that wasn't busy on the weekend and they said sure.  For $25, they let me roll on and measure the coach and the trailer each wheel position, front wheels, back wheels, trailer wheels, left side coach, right side coach, every possible combination.

They actually enjoyed watching me get all of the numbers and put them on my drawing with max loads at each position and the totals.

When you see the numbers, you will be able to see what has to be moved where, and what has to go, or where you can store other "stuff".
The advantage of weighing is that you will be able to set your tire pressures for the best efficiency and safety.

Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320

Reply #3
Michel, just to amplify a bit.  On an axle basis, should all the tires be set to the same pressure?  For example if the rear left is heavier by 200# than the right, then you would set the air pressure to the higher side on all four tires?
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #4
Yes, if all 4 tires are on the same axle. (Rear Duals)
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #5
Thanks Barry, yes also.

And, when you weigh, weigh with what you are going to carry.  I went and weighed with all full tanks (fuel, propane, fresh, gray & black, full fridge, tools, spare parts & filters, etc ). This is what the max that the tires would have to deal with, and you can adjust down if you normally travel with empty tanks.
Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320