Skip to main content
Topic: Generator and insulation (Read 882 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator and insulation

We have a 1999 U320 with a Powertech 10K generator.  Has anyone re-insulated their generator compartment, replaced their generator or done any mods to help quiet the beast while running? 

Ours is in good condition, serviced regularly, etc., but compared to newer generators on newer coaches, you definitely know which one is making the noise.  I understand that comparing ours to newer coaches/generators, is kind of an apples & oranges thing because of new technology & such, I was wondering if anyone has been successful in lowering the db's or, have they replaced the generator with something newer & more quiet?

Bill Jackson & Kim Sweeney
24' Lazy Daze TK
SKP Lifetime member #105622
2002 U320 PBDS 36' (Sold)
Build 5941

Re: Generator and insulation

Reply #1
Bill, call Power Tech and see if you can retrofit it to a quite box,also check and see if you can get the air bag motor mounts.
 Bill W.
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #2
If non of that works, Iso mounts (bolts) from NAPA may help.
1994 U225
build #4514

Reply #3
It is the quiet box that makes it quieter. I noticed the difference when I got my first unit with one.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #4
I have the same PT10 and I do not notice that it is any noisier than any other genny.  It is in a GV so it is mounted in a bay on the left side.  I do notice that it WHISTLES, apparently as air is drawn into the bay there is some restriction, open the bay door and it goes away. My control panel is quite different though, I guess since it is an earlier model they made some changes later.

Reply #5
Bill,

I just had FT replace the insulation in mine.  The original insulation was breaking down and filling the air filter and generator cooling system with black dust.  It cost $1300, $500 of which was for the material.  It took an expert a day and a half, and required a fork lift.  Anne doesn't think it's much quieter, but the noise is not objectionable.

BTW, FT recommends that the control box be relocated to the front streetside bay.  It's much cooler, and eliminates risk of vibration damage.

Regards,

Brett
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #6
Thanks for the advice, y'all.  Am getting the impression that the re-insulating won't make that much of a difference other than replacing whats damaged - old...
Amos, we'll be in Nac in late June or July for annual maintenance stuff - I'll check on moving the control box and see what that entails...  Sounds like a good idea.  Maybe they shoulda done that when manufactured...

Ain't hindsight wonderful?  ::)
Bill Jackson & Kim Sweeney
24' Lazy Daze TK
SKP Lifetime member #105622
2002 U320 PBDS 36' (Sold)
Build 5941