Skip to main content

Topic: Generator and insulation (Read 318 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator and insulation
We have a 1999 U320 with a Powertech 10K generator.  Has anyone re-insulated their generator compartment, replaced their generator or done any mods to help quiet the beast while running? 

Ours is in good condition, serviced regularly, etc., but...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Generator and insulation
Reply #1
Bill, call Power Tech and see if you can retrofit it to a quite box,also check and see if you can get the air bag motor mounts.
Bill W.

• PatC
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
If non of that works, Iso mounts (bolts) from NAPA may help.

Reply #3
It is the quiet box that makes it quieter. I noticed the difference when I got my first unit with one.

• Gary Bouland
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I have the same PT10 and I do not notice that it is any noisier than any other genny.  It is in a GV so it is mounted in a bay on the left side.  I do notice that it WHISTLES, apparently as air is drawn into the bay there is some restriction,...

Reply #5
Bill,

I just had FT replace the insulation in mine.  The original insulation was breaking down and filling the air filter and generator cooling system with black dust.  It cost $1300, $500 of which was for the material.  It took an expert a day...

Reply #6
Thanks for the advice, y'all.  Am getting the impression that the re-insulating won't make that much of a difference other than replacing whats damaged - old...
Amos, we'll be in Nac in late June or July for annual maintenance stuff - I'll check...

• Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:53:46 am by Bill Jackson