Skip to main content
Topic: electrical woes (Read 1095 times) previous topic - next topic

electrical woes

I had the coach plugged into 15 amp service today. my wife was using the vacuum plugged
into the bathroom receptacle. after about a minute she lost power.  I went to investigate
thinking it was the gfic. it would not reset. I checked the breakers, and they all seemed fine.
I took the gfc out and determined that there was voltage to the gfc.  I replaced the gfc and
the little green indicator light on the new gfic came on, but no power. I then thought the transfer
switch might be stuck. I threw the main breaker in the bedroom on and off. now the little
green indicator light went out and of course still no power.
what I think has happened is the circuit was overloaded and the coach has suffered some kind of
a brown out.  of course this happened late this afternoon, and we are going to a rally in a couple
of days.  before I dig into things in the morning, can anybody give me some clues? thanks
wayne

Re: electrical woes

Reply #1
Wayne, unplug from shore power and start the generator, listen for the transfer switch to change over and check the power, if you have power on the gfi you mite have a bad transfer switch.
 Bill W. 97 U270
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #2
thanks bill
I should have mentioned that I had tried disconnecting the shore power, and starting the
generator.  there was still no power to the receptacles that are serviced by the gfi.
circuits that are not on the gfi  eg: microwave are fine.
thanks

Reply #3
Wayne,

It sounds like you still have a GFI problem, is the GFI a feed through type if so make sure you have the cable you have voltage on connected to line on the GFI the other cable connected to load side if they are crossed it will not work.

Bobby & Norma
1992 GV U280
The selected media item is not currently available.
Bobby & Norma
1992 GV U280
C8.3 Cummins

Reply #4
it is a feed through gfi.  I have no voltage at the wires that connect to the gfi, although I did
before I turned the main breaker off and then on again.???????  the breaker is working because
I have voltage in other parts of the coach.  also the inverter is not inverting, but the charger is
working. the led's on the inverter are not indicating any problem, but I think I will investigate the
inverter and the transfer switches.  any other suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks  wayne

Reply #5
You might tbe having a ground issue.  The GFI measures the difference between the electrical flow of the wires (to put it simply).  If it thinks that the flow is different, it won't let electricity through.
If you are having other varient problems NOT on the same circuit that come and go, it might be a faulty ground, loose wire, corrosion in a ground lead that is common to all of the problems.
Remember, it take not only power to make something to work, BUT it needs a good ground.  Few look in that direction when something fails.  It is harder to find a ground fault (why they call it a ground fault interrupter) because sometimes it finds a ground in the most unlikely place, causing other ancillary problems.
Have you ever had panel lights glow when the switch is turned off?  Probably power coming back from another place through ther ground.

Good luck finding it!!

You might jury up a ground to another outlet and ground the GFI there and see if it resets.

Mike Baldacchino
'97 U320 40' CAI
Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320

Reply #6
problem solved.  it was a sticky transfer switch. a new sticky transfer switch that I
installed last winter.
thanks  wayne

Reply #7
problem solved.  it was a sticky transfer switch. a new sticky transfer switch that I
installed last winter.

Wayne , did you install a new transfer switch or just the relay last winter?
What was the part numbers of the item you used?
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #8
barry
I ordered the whole box from foretravel. it is called (lyght power systems).
there are no numbers on the outside of the box.
unlike the other transfer switches that came with the coach, this one has
an electronic board instead of a bunch of wires.  having said that, the first one
they sent me had a very loud humm.  I sent it back and they sent me another
one that humms just as bad.  I insulated the box, and I can live with it.
wayne

Reply #9
barry
I ordered the whole box from foretravel. it is called (lyght power systems).
there are no numbers on the outside of the box.

Was this the model
http://www.rvpowerhouse.com/product.php?id=24

You might want to go into PROFILE & fill out your name & coach info & it will appear on every message so you dont have to remember to add your coach info each time
2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #10
This is the one I bought from rvpowerhouse.com.  Have not installed it yet as I'm still one armed (wrist therapy).  It is relay based.  Does this mean the humm may not be there?

50 Amp 240 VAC Relay Based (Metal Box)
Price: $161.00
Part # LPT50BRD
Weight: 9.00lbs.
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #11
This is the one I bought from rvpowerhouse.com.

I wonder why this does not show up as a hyperlink, but it does on the email message.
2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #12
Sorry, I did not paste the hyperlink before:

http://www.rvpowerhouse.com/product.php?id=179

It really does not add much information.  I believe if you Google the model no.  other sites have more info on this unit.  I believe I chose this one on a recommendation from Don Hay?  It is posted in the Yahoo forum, though.
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Re: electrical woes -transfer switch hum

Reply #13
My transfer switch also hums and since it is under the bed it is very annoying at night.  The hum is caused by the AC relay in the unit and is normal.  To get away from the hum I was told that you need a transfer switch that uses DC relays (I think I got the information on the Foretravel Yahoo group site).  I found several on the web when I was looking but I'm afraid I did not note them as I have more immediate needs.  These switches have a AC to DC converter so that they are powered by 250 VDC.
John Cooper
'91 GV 36'
Oshkosh chassis
Cat 3208T 300HP