Skip to main content
Topic: Filling fuel filters (Read 799 times) previous topic - next topic

Filling fuel filters

I posted this on another forum but thought since this about my Foretravel, I would ask here also.
I can't find it now, but on some thread I read that you can use quart cans of oil to fill a new fuel filter before installing it on a diesel engine. I think it was transmission fluid of some sort. If it is true it would eliminate the worry of getting contaminated fuel from a container in the injectors. I would rather carry a couple of unopened quarts of oil instead of a container of diesel that will eventually go bad.
What type of oil or fluid is acceptable in a Cummins engine? What do you use?

Thanks
Donald & Cheryl
1999 U295 36'
2006 Saturn Vue Toad
The selected media item is not currently available.

Re: Filling fuel filters

Reply #1
a friend of mine who is a heavy duty mechanic, uses 2 stroke oil in the new filter.  I add a
pint of 2 stroke oil to the tank each time I take fuel.  I have been doing this for years. I believe
it is even more important now because it adds lubrication to the ulsd.  this of course is just my opinion.
wayne

Reply #2
Don't put anything in the new fuel filter.  Just push the PRIME button and let it do its work.

Brett
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #3
Brett I do have a manual prime button (bulb) that I have had to use when I ran out of fuel once. It is easy to get to and it did work well after several pumps on the bulb the engine started right up. Is this the one you are referring to? I have read about on the newer coaches they have an electric primer switch, which I have not found yet if I have it. I am learning something new about this Foretravel every day.
Thanks
Donald
Donald & Cheryl
1999 U295 36'
2006 Saturn Vue Toad
The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #4
Donald,

Sorry.  I have the electric prime system.  You'd know it you had it by the big PRIME button up beside the air filter monitor.

Regards,

Brett
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R