Skip to main content
Topic: Dometic NDR-1492 icemaker water line deterioration/replacement (Read 1176 times) previous topic - next topic

Dometic NDR-1492 icemaker water line deterioration/replacement

No margaritas for us tonight  :(  Our fridge suddenly started leaking water on Monday evening - from the ice maker solenoid area in the outside fridge compartment.

Investigation today shows the line from the solenoid up into the icemaker itself (inside a black sleeve) is completely deteriorated, all crumbly, at least 18" of its length is this way.  We've never run the ice maker without water, so who knows what happened.

Anyway, has anyone replaced this line themselves, and if so how big a job and what's the rough parts cost and where to purchase them?  I did a quick check of the archived Yahoo posts and it looks like Barry might have back around '07?

Michelle (settling for a Beringer Private Reserve Chardonnay.....)

Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Re: Dometic NDR-1492 icemaker water line deterioration/replacement

Reply #1
I have replaced the water feed line on a couple of fridges.  the line is encased in a plastic wrap that also contains a wire to supply heat in cold conditions. I believe this wire is responsable for the
deterioration of the plastic hose. I have disconnected the wire on my new fridge at the fuse.
dometic will sell you the part for around a hundred bucks, which of course is another dometic
rip off.  you can get a piece of plastic hose from home depot for a couple of bucks.
you must remove the screws on the outside bottom of the fridge, and there are probably a
couple of screws inside the coach behind the top panel of the fridge.  using a putty knife you can
break the seal around the flange surrounding the fridge. If you put a couple of five gallon
buckets upside down with a piece of plywood on top, you can wiggle the fridge out onto the plywood enough so that you can reach behind the fridge and replace the line.
be very carefull breaking the flange free, and of course don't forget to turn off and disconnect
the gas and water.
hope this helps

Reply #2
I have had to replace mine also. I wrote up a procedure with the photos I took of doing it.
http://beamalarm.com/Documents/dometic_ice_maker_leak_repair/dometic_ice_maker_leak_repair.html
I had to pull the refer into the coach about 6 - 12 inches and replaced it by going into the roof vent.
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #3

Great tutorial, Barry.  Looks like something we'll wait to do until we get back home (we can live without making our own ice until then).  We'd rather attack something like that where we know all our tools are and we wouldn't be a source of entertainment for the rest of the campground.

Where did you purchase the replacement kit with the sheathed tubing and heater wire?

Michelle
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Reply #4
I ordered it from Dometic or Camping World. I think it was part # 3108706.080
There is one on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dometic-Ice-Maker-Heat-Tape-Kit-part-3108706-080-/130381506400?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5b57e760
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #5

Thank you!  There is now one less on eBay (and one enroute to us).

Michelle