Skip to main content
Topic: CAC -- Charge Air Cooler (Read 1073 times) previous topic - next topic

CAC -- Charge Air Cooler

"A couple of things here.  First make sure that you have cleaned the CAC (Charge Air Cooler, also known as the after-cooler and the inter-cooler) and radiator at least once a year"

Where is it?  What does it look like?  How does one clean it?
George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Re: CAC -- Charge Air Cooler

Reply #1
I found a neat air tool for cleaning behind the radiator.
http://beamalarm.com/Documents/radiator_cleaning.htm
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Reply #2
"A couple of things here.  First make sure that you have cleaned the CAC (Charge Air Cooler, also known as the after-cooler and the inter-cooler) and radiator at least once a year"

Where is it?  What does it look like?  How does one clean it?

Air is sucked by the fan from the side of the coach, through the CAC, THEN the Radiator then through the fan.  Many coaches also have additional coolers for hydraulic fluid, diesel, etc "in line'.

The large "radiator like" thing you see through the grill on the side of the coach IS the CAC.

Brett Wolfe
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #3
 While traveling through  Yellowstone N.P. I encountered my side mount 6V92 Detroit radiator fins plugging up with muddy road splash. They were repaving and had ground down the asphalt to bare dirt, then they were using water spray for dust control so traffic could flow through the construction zone. Well I was the lucky one with the clean motorhome to follow the water spray truck. When we exited the other end of the construction zone I could not see the paint or strips on my coach, also I had an overheating problem on the very next hill I had to clime. I pulled into the first area I could get into and looked through the slates to see the radiator fins plugged with caked mud. I hooked up to domestic water supply and flushed out the fins. One other time leaves got sucked up against the fins and I had an overheat problem, also solved when the leaves were removed. I wish Foretravel would have made a swing door with louvers in front of the radiator...  Gerry 
The selected media item is not currently available.
Gerry & Brenda
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, FL
1994 Grand Villa - # 4466
U300 Unihome - 6V92 Detroit
4 speed Allison - Jake Brake

Reply #4
They did in the later models.  :D  2003 YES!!!
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"