Skip to main content
Topic: Steering stabilizer (Read 1123 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering stabilizer

I have a Safe-T-Plus model 41-230 that I took off my SOB. The company has mounting brackets available for Foretravel's.
Do you have experience with these? What are the pros & cons? This one does not have a way to automatically or electrically center, You have to get a wrench and crawl under to adjust.

Thanks,
Dick, '03 U320 40' Tag, 2 slides, Coach #6075
Full Timers
2009 Honda CR-V

Re: Steering stabilizer

Reply #1
Hi Dick,

My experience has been that the Oshkosh chassis on my 1990 ORED benefited from a steering stabilizer but the UniCoach chassis that Foretravel builds does not need one.  My U320 runs straight and feels very little impact from passing trucks or very high winds.  So for me, I would just leave it not installed.

You certainly may feel different and if so, fine by me too.  The chassis does need to be correctly aligned to drive like I have described.
Rudy Legett
2003 U320 4010 ISM 450 hp
2001 U320 4220 ISM 450 hp
1995 U320 M11 400 hp
1990 Granvilla 300 hp 3208T
Aqua Hot Service Houston and Southeast Texas

Reply #2
How about the unihome (1993, 40ft). I had a sob steering system  on my last (1985 Vogue) But I really don't feel I need it on this coach
1993 U300, 6v92
build 4366
USAF retired, Flight Engineer, C124, C130
 ATP, A & E.  & ex AI

Reply #3
Bill,

I believe the Unihome chassis is very similar to the the Unicoach chassis.  Most likely this is why yours does not feel like it needs a stabilizer also.

My 1996 Holiday Rambler Endeavor was so erratic in a good wind, I could not take may attention off of staying in the lane to read a sign.  The effort was draining and not fun driving several times in west Texas.  I tamed this coach and the ORED with a Steer Safe stabilizer.

On the other hand in November 09, my U320 had a driver's side window awning blown open in west Texas it was so windy but I felt the coach drove as it always does at 65 mph.  I slowed to 50 mph till the direction of the road changed to lessen the wind's impact on the driver's side to keep the awning stowed.

So, my U320 does not have a stabilizer on it as it is easy to control at all times in all conditions.  Like you, I do not believe it needs one.  I love driving my U320.
Rudy Legett
2003 U320 4010 ISM 450 hp
2001 U320 4220 ISM 450 hp
1995 U320 M11 400 hp
1990 Granvilla 300 hp 3208T
Aqua Hot Service Houston and Southeast Texas

Reply #4
My U280 has a steer safe on it due to the original owner being a gadget freak. i t probably does not need it but I love it.  People hear me brag about handling in stiff side winds and they look at me like I am a liar. In a 50 MPH wind in KS last winter it was so bad that the wind tore the right wiper arm off the coach and I did not realize how bad it was til I was almost blown off my feet when I stopped to repair what was left.  YMMV

Reply #5
Thanks for the input.
Out coach drives and handles great in the wind.
But one of the reasons I bought the Safe-T-Plus was for the proclaimed stability in case of a front tire blow out.
I am torn between putting it on because I already have it or not. When I purchased this MH I let them talk me into installing Tyron bands on the front wheels. They are another safety feature in case of a front tire blowout. If you are interested, they have a website; www.tyron.com.
It's not a high priority anyway.

Dick
Dick, '03 U320 40' Tag, 2 slides, Coach #6075
Full Timers
2009 Honda CR-V

Reply #6
Forgot to add; I have the wheel balancers by centramatic here in Alvarado TX on all axles. www.centramatic.com Had them on last coach also plus steer safe system.
1993 U300, 6v92
build 4366
USAF retired, Flight Engineer, C124, C130
 ATP, A & E.  & ex AI

Reply #7
My 92 U-240 had way too much play in the wheel and drifted from one side of the lane to the other constantly.  Took it in and front end guy found a torn up steering coupler (rag joint) which was replaced by Foretravel on the 93 model with a u-joint but according to James Triana there is no retrofit for older coaches.  That repair helped a lot but not enough.  Just recently added the safe-t-plus.  Big improvement. It took three trips under the coach for adjustments but now it handles much better. The play is reduced even more and there is tension in either direction past center. 
Dwayne Keith
Dwayne Keith
1992 U240
3116/MD3060