Skip to main content
Topic: Engine pre-lubrication? (Read 898 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine pre-lubrication?

When I bought my Dodge Turbo Diesel truck I joined the Turbo Diesel Register where I learned that some people installed pre-lubers on their Cummins engines.  I have not seen any mention of it here until I added a comment about pre-filling oil filters.  I'm wondering if anyone here has one installed on his coach?  I will also add this to the Yahoo site.
John Cooper
'91 GV 36'
Oshkosh chassis
Cat 3208T 300HP

Re: Engine pre-lubrication?

Reply #1
John, A good subject,  Having worked for Cat power generation division, we at one point did indeed keep the larger engines pressurized (Lube) with a automatic jockey pump, kept the oil pressure between about 15 - 30 psi and was disabled when the engine was started. Another way would be to use a large accumulator with solenoid that would hold pressure until engine was started, the same time the starter engaged, the solenoid on the accumulator would open and flood the engine with oil.

One can go completely nuts on this subject, however a very few RV types will ever see any difference in todays engines either with or without the pre-lube systems.  For me, I would forget it.  Just start the engine, let it idle slowly also most of the computer engines will not get fuel to start until there is oil pressure.
Deep subject,
LOL
|Dave M

Reply #2
Dave,
Thanks for the information.  My Cat 3208 pre-dates computers and as I remember it, the fuel solenoid is controlled by the 12 volts from the switched side of the relay.  On the Dodge I used to disconnect the fuel solenoid after changing oil.  On the Cat I would have to put a switch or removable connector on it.  Unless finances change I will probably not drive enough miles to worry about shortening the life of the engine.
John Cooper
'91 GV 36'
Oshkosh chassis
Cat 3208T 300HP

Reply #3
John, Yes by all means, if you can keep the fuel solenoid off until you have oil pressure, it prevents the heavy bearing loads on the rods & Mains etc before they are floating with oil, then put the fuel to it, get started, warm up and enjoy many happy miles.

That is one method why the computer engines never start as quick as the older mechanical engines  Heck nothing starts quicker than a 3208, maybe the 71 series Detroits, they also start real quick when warm.

Ever wonder why some folks have alot of problems with diesel engines, well it just proves not everyone should have a diesel,  That is just my opinion based on alot of fact / experience.
 :)
Dave

Reply #4
Dave, I never thought about this but maybe you know.
Does the 8.3 Cummins require oil pressure before it starts ? I have a red indicator light at the remote start but I have never seen it red, Its marked oil pressure.  Is there any control on this engine that would sense oil pressure and either prevent it from starting or shut it down if no oil pressure ? On one trip I lost most of the oil due to a broken dip stick tube but I shut it down for another reason before I saw a drop in oil pressure. 
Just curious

Reply #5
Gary, To my understanding the mechanical 8.3 would not have such a setup, meaning have never seen one, they start as soon at the Bosch type injection pump sends fuel to the injectors which  would be immediately  upon pushing the button or turning the key.  Why I like the idea of not turning on the  solenoid on the injection pump until I see  oil pressure, or like they to with the computer engine, the engine turns over about 5-8 revs then the fuel flows.  I like that even though I am used to engines that start as soon as  you touch the key or button.  When I got this ISM engine, I thought there was something ill about it until I learned more about it.
First noticed the delay starting on a 1989 U300 with the 6V-92, that also is electronic and has delay in starting.
Good luck  :)
Dave