Skip to main content
Topic: Cracked Corian cooktop cover (Read 979 times) previous topic - next topic

Cracked Corian cooktop cover

Oops!!!  We accidentally dropped a 10lb bag of ice on the Corian cooktop cover; and it cracked diagonally about 80% across.  Has anyone repaired one of these; and what adhesive did you use?  Online research mentioned DuPont Seam Sealer and Cyberbond.  Experience counts.  Anyone?  Anyone?  :(  :-[  :P

Re: Cracked Corian cooktop cover

Reply #1
On my 99, it had discoloration from a burn ­ Sent it to FOT, they made a new
part and shipped it back, as I recall it matched perfectly and was not
expensive, you might give them a call.

On 6/10/10 3:52 PM, "Jeff & Suzanne" wrote:
Oops!!!  We accidentally dropped a 10lb bag of ice on the Corian cooktop
cover; and it cracked diagonally about 80% across.  Has anyone repaired one of
these; and what adhesive did you use?  Online research mentioned DuPont Seam
Sealer and Cyberbond.  Experience counts.  Anyone?  Anyone?  :(  :-[  :P
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #2
Hi Jeff,  Corian Can be repaired!  It can also be Seamed to make a continuous counter top.  You will need to contact any local Corian top installer to have it repaired..  :)
The selected media item is not currently available.
Gerry & Brenda
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, FL
1994 Grand Villa - # 4466
U300 Unihome - 6V92 Detroit
4 speed Allison - Jake Brake

Reply #3
Hi Jeff & Suzanne,
  Call a few local cabinet/millwork shops. Ask them if they are Corian approved/certified. If they are close,drop by and find a match, color name, and number. They may be able to help. If they can't repairthe cover, send me the color name. I can find a shop in your area that may sell you what you need. If that does not work, I can send you what you need. I may have the right seam/adhesive cartridges in my shop. It is not the adhesive/seem kits that are expensive. It is the gun that dispenses the adhesive that cost. It is an easy fix if you have the broken pieces. Let me know.

Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Reply #4
Jeff,

I don't think your cooktop is true Corian.  Regardless, I have had terrific service from David Flanagan at FT.  He has fixed cracks, filled holes, etc. and the repairs are invisible.

Regards,

Brett
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #5
I believe that if it is Corian, and was installed by an authorized installer (I tried to do it myself and they wouldn't sell it to me), it supposedly is guaranteed forever.
Check their website or call an installer/dealer.
Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320

Reply #6
Hi Jeff & Suzanne,
  Foretravel started to manufacture their own solid surface product around 1999.  My 1997 U 320, has Corian solid surface product. I have replaced, repaired, and made a few pieces in mine. I have never seen anything, but Corian, in the pre 1999 Foretravels. My base color is called Aurora. Light beige, with some brownish flecs. Its in many Foretravels. The later materials, by Foretravel, uses its own repair materials. The Corian and Foretravel repair products will not work with each other. The Corian warranty is good for ten years if fabricated, and installed, by a certified/approved vendor.

Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320

Raymond & Babette Jordan
1997 U 320
1998 Ford Explorer XLT