Skip to main content
Topic: Power Tech - OVERCRANK (Read 1471 times) previous topic - next topic

Power Tech - OVERCRANK

Is anybody familiar with the OVERCRANK error code on the Power Tech 10KW genny?  This is for a '99 U320, and I currently don't have access to the manual to look up the codes.  I don't have a clue where to start looking.

Everything was running great yesterday and it shut down w/o warning.  This Louisiana heat and humidity is oppressive and makes traveling w/o the two roof AC units running a not-to-fun experience.

Will post on Foreforums as well.  Any guidance appreciated.
Russell
'99 U320 CAI 40ft w/Xtreme Full Body Paint
Baton Rouge

The selected media item is not currently available."Tetons"

Re: Power Tech - OVERCRANK

Reply #1
Russell, Sorry to hear about the over crank problem.  In simple terms, normally that would be caused by one of two reasons.
First, out of fuel
Second, plugged fuel filter, transfer pump or electric solenoid that opens the fuel control on the injection pump.
All indications are one of the above, Highly unlikely the injection pump has failed/broken. The Bosch Mini pumps are very reliable.
Good luck
Dave M Va

Reply #2
Russel,
I'm guessing your wondering what the error means ?
It's triggered when the starter is engaged too long (cranks the engine too long) as a measure to not burn-up the starter motor.
I'm not sure if manually holding down the start button too long (after it actually started) will trigger it or not.
My guess is this error detection was created with the advent of the autostart function where there isn't a human there to say "Something wrong - it's taking too long for the engine to start" or just to let you know it failed to start all together.
Good luck,
John Fitzgerald
John Fitzgerald
1991 U300 (SAI) Side Aisle Island Bed 40'
Detroit 6V92 with Allison Retarder
Meridian (Boise), Idaho

Reply #3
John:

Thanks for the post.  Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to understand.  But to be truthfull, that error code doesn't sync with the current symptoms.

Here's what's happening.  I press the start button as normal, and release.  You can hear the fuel being primed and the genny starts w/o a hitch.  It runs for about 20 to 25 seconds and then shuts down, after releasing some air. 

I suspect what happened is that I left the genny running while part on a slight incline and with a bit less than half a tank of fuel.  And so, the genny ran short of fuel and lost its prime.  And now I'm stuck w/o knowing how to bleed off the air. 

Anyhow, that's what I suspect.  And will keep digging on this end to find a solution.

Russell
Russell
Baton Rouge

Reply #4
I had the same problem on my 8KW gen. it would sart for few seconds then quit.  It turned out to be the small inline filter next to the electric pump at the front bottom.  Tks DAN 99 u270
Dan & Shirley Stansel
2002 U295 4020 AGDS Build#6054
Towing Buick Enclave & M &  G Braking
Emerald Bay, Lake Palestine, Texas
MC# 16650

Reply #5
Thanks Dan.  Will definitely check that out. 

I'm at a family reunion, and activities are starting to prohibit any more focus on the coach till Monday.  For now, I'm at a  KOA and plugged into 50 amps to avoid heat and humidity. 
Russell
Baton Rouge

Reply #6
Russell,

I just saw your email.  Sorry for the delay.  The guys have you on the right track.  You can bleed the fuel system at the banjo bolt on top of the filter.  From there the fuel system should be self-priming.  To go further you'd have to crack the fuel line fitting at each injector.

If need more help, call me.

Regards,

Brett
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #7
Russell,  Perhaps you should do a search for generator problems that are archived here.
Mine acted somewhat like yours and turned out to be a fuel line air leak.  Pulled a new fuel line and problems quit.  The problems started after I ran fuel tank down low and starved genny.  If bleeding air does not work start looking for  chafed places on fuel line and possible drips from small leaks. Apparently these fuel lines tend to soften inside with use also and suction starves genny for fuel.

Reply #8
Russell, if you post this on the old forum, Dave M is a Genset guru and he installs and repairs them around the area. He may have the information for you. I do not think he is on here yet.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #9
if you post this on the old forum, Dave M is a Genset guru and he installs and repairs them around the area. He may have the information for you. I do not think he is on here yet.

Ummm....  see response #1 in this thread  ;)
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #10
RESOLUTION!

Was fortunate enough to have  mobile tech come to take a look at the OVERCRANK problem and he was able to resolve the problem.

The OVERCRANK error code is exactly as JohnFitz explained.  It's an error associated with the starter trying to engage for too long a period... or too frequently.  This can certainly be caused by low/no fuel as was suggested.  But that was not the cause of the error in this instance.  The problem was not related to a fuel problem at all.

Here's what was happening: When I would start the generator, it would self-prime as normal and then start right up.  It would run for about 20 seconds and make a high pitched sound for about 4 or 5 seconds that sounded very much like air was being released from a compressor.  The generator would continue to run, and about 10 seconds later, it would make the high pitched sound again... and then shut down with the OVERCRANK error code.

Everybody that heard the high pitched sound thought it was air being released --- IT WAS NOT.  IT WAS THE STARTER ENGAGING, and trying to restart the generator, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS RUNNING.

This is what I was told happens on the Power Techs:  While they're running, they're also sending a signal that lets the unit know it's generating electricity.  If it is NOT generating electricity, it "assumes" the generator is not running, and tries to restart. 

So what happened on my unit, was that vibrations had caused the lug on the wire than sends the signal to break, and the unit basically didn't know it was generating.  The broken lug was in the control box, and would have been an easy fix if I had even thought to look in the control box.  The thing that made this so hard to diagnose, was that the sounds coming from the generator sounded so much like escaping air, everybody that looked at it initially thought it might have had to do with air in the fuel line and some quirk was causing it to escape at high pressure.

One more quick comment on the high pitched air sounds coming from the generator.  The sounds were so similar to high pressure escaping air, that even the generator tech was scratching his head for the first few minutes.  It wasn't until he started laying his hands on the generator and could feel the additional vibrations, that he realized what it was.

Thanks to all who offered advice and guidance.

Russell
Baton Rouge

Reply #11
All right, glad you found a solution.  My PT10 at one time acted funny and when I started poking around I found a crimp on connector in the control box was loose.  Damn... if it ain't one thing its something else.

Reply #12
Russell,
              Not sure if you want to share the name of the mobile tech service that you used but I know that I would be interested. One sub folder in my "RV Maintainence" folder is "Repair facilities". I cut and paste messages that offer the names of repair facilities that others have used, good or bad, in the hope that if I have a need while on the road I will be more confident in the service that I will receive. It would be nice to have that kind of a section here at this forum. Steve C., could you comment on that and is it viable?
Rick

Reply #13
Sure... would be more than happy to offer a name and phone number:

It's not a service, per se.  This is a guy that has sold and repaired generators for 42 years.  He certainly took care of me, and I couldn't be happier with his promptness and ability.  But again, he's only a generator guy.

His name is Don Jones.  He's in the Baton Rouge, LA vicinity and his cell phone number is (225) 572-4167
Russell
Baton Rouge