Skip to main content

Topic: When the propane tank runs out, what needs to be done? (Read 746 times) previous topic - next topic

When the propane tank runs out, what needs to be done?
We have a slow leak in the propane tank at the valve where it connects to the tank.  I have several question:

1.  Once it is totally empty, is there a law requiring tht the tank be tested hydrostatically?

2.  Should I have alll connections taken...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Dave Head
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: When the propane tank runs out, what needs to be done?
Reply #1
4. If you have the smaller tank, a year...

George Stoltz wrote:
 A new topic, 'When the propane tank runs out, what needs to be done?', 
 has been made on a board you are watching.

We have a slow leak in the propane tank at the valve...

Reply #2
George..... I would not wait for it to run out.  With something like this it would be best to take it to FOT or MOT and get them to look at it NOW.  Even a slow leak could be disastrous.  What if the leak increased in volume?  From my experience,...

Reply #3
I had a leak on the 88 Grandvilla  we owned.   Took it to the factory they parked up behind the mfg building and hooked up a line to a pipe that was up in the air 15 to 20 feet and burned of the propane and than replaced the leaking valve.  Took...

• PatC
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4

1.  No.  This is not required by ASME standards.  You have ASME tank which falls under ASME rules, not DOT rules.  The DOT tanks like you see hooked to a BBQ grill may be used for 12 years, they have to be re-certified every 5 years thereafter...

• Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:29:41 pm by PatC

Reply #5
Here is more info on our propane leak.  It is a very, very small leak.  We have had the leak for some time now -- not that that means we can go indefinitely without looking at it.  We did have MOT check it out.  They told us it would/could take...

Reply #6
George, Is the leak at the packing gland on the valve ?  If so you may be able to tighten the gland.  If its at the boss where the valve screws into the tank a good cleaning and a dab of J B Weld might be a temp fix.  In the meantime, open door...

Reply #7
Hi George, I had what I think is the same problem on a 1990 Bluebird M.C. - The 45 gallon L.P. valve was leaking where it screwed into the tank around the threads. I took the coach to a major propane supply facility where they did tank repair and...

Reply #8
We are still trying to use up all of our propane so that we can get the leak fixed.  We have been using our Weber Q almost continuously for the past 7 or 8 days and we are now on empty.  We have been on empty since around 6:00 p.m. last night and...

Reply #9
George, As you are finding out a little propane goes a longgggg way.  If I remember right propane liquid expands at about 400 to 1 so a gallon or so of liquid in a tank becomes a WHOLE lot of vapor as it expands. Then you mix propane vapor with...

Reply #10
Gary, dont feel too bad.   The link below sends you to a web site that shows the equivalent BTU's per gallon of propane as compared to diesel (#2 Fuel Oil).  Diesel is the best value:

Propane:
1 Gal Propane = 91,600 Btu's

Gasoline:
1 Gal Gasoline...

• PatC
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
And #6 oil is so nasty!!!!  Yucky,  sticky, black stuff, much like liquid asphault .  Glad I don't have to mess with it any more!

Reply #12
And, avjet fuel is a form of distillate as is Fuel Oil.  But Bunkers (used in the moster diesels on ships) is like goop, just before you get to coke in the cracking process.

Reply #13
Peter. Thanks for the relative energy table, I had wondered about the relative output of these fuels. It is illuminating (pun intended).
Remember vividly refueling underway in the North Atlantic (AKA to LSD) in December,1957. They had to heat the...

Reply #14
That is ok. I had a full tank of propane and then went to take the coach out and it was empty.  So, I had it filled again.  Then I saw the leak was in the regulator. Replace that and all is fine.  I have had the same tank of propane now for over...