Skip to main content
Topic: Brake Lights Stuck On (Read 901 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake Lights Stuck On

I am having trouble with the engine lugging or actually not revving up over about 1800 rpm's at times. (not the first time this has happened). This is a 1997 U270 with the King Throttle Control. I installed a new ground wire at the King control box & cleaned all the brake wire connections per the tech at King Controls about eight months ago. This worked good until now. Yesterday it started happening again. Today I found the brake lights on (that would cause this problem) but I don't know where the switch is that sends a signal for the brake lights. Can anyone tell me where I can find it? Thank You for any help or other ideals you might have. 

Jim Monk
1997 U270
East Texas
Jim Monk
1997 U270
East Texas

Re: Brake Lights Stuck On

Reply #1
Jim, check in the first compartment drivers side just below the steering gear, there are 2 air operated switch's therefor the brake lights, unhook the wires on 1 switch at a time and check the lights, that is where I had my problem.
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #2
We purchased a 1997 U295 in April. The previous owner had stories about the throttle control, which was originally a King control unit. The best story was about a trip from out west back to southeast Texas after a failure of the King electronic throttle. The bed was propped up with a broomstick, and a rope was run from the throttle linkage to the driver position. The driver accelerated the engine by pulling the rope. I think it was soon after that trip, that Foretravel installed an air throttle for the previous owner.

The unit was advertised as having an "air throttle." After we bought the coach, I learned about the "air throttle" as a replacement for the original control. It does appear that is was an improvement worthy of noting in the sales brief.

That story is probably not much help or consolation, but it does suggest one way of fixing problems with the King throttle control.

JDS
1997 U295 CAI 36'
1994 Grand Cherokee
Bellville, TX

On Jun 16, 2010, at 1:43 PM, Jim Monk wrote:

I am having trouble with the engine lugging or actually not revving up over about 1800 rpm's at times. (not the first time this has happened). This is a 1997 U270 with the King Throttle Control. I installed a new ground wire at the King control box & cleaned all the brake wire connections per the tech at King Controls about eight months ago. This worked good until now. Yesterday it started happening again. Today I found the brake lights on (that would cause this problem) but I don't know where the switch is that sends a signal for the brake lights. Can anyone tell me where I can find it? Thank You for any help or other ideals you might have. 

Jim Monk 
 1997 U270
 East Texas
J D Stevens
1997 U295 CAI 36' Build #5085
2002 Subaru Outback
Motorcade 16869
Bellville, TX

Reply #3
Thanks for the replys on the brake switches. I ordered two new switches that should be here tomorrow.

Jim Monk
1997 U270
East Texas
Jim Monk
1997 U270
East Texas

Reply #4
Jim,

You might also want to verify that these symptoms are not being caused by the brakes being applied causing both brake light illumination and poor throttle response.

Drive it a mile or so and stop and carefully place your hand on the wheels.  If hot, the brakes ARE being applied.

Brett Wolfe
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #5
Two brake light air pressure switches are located on front upper wall of forward street side compartment. Also an electric relay that is activated when retard is on, also turns on brake lights.
One wire comes from all 3 of the above and goes to brake light circuit.
Barry & Cindy
1997 Foretravel U270 36'
Foretraveler@gmail.com

Reply #6
Many thanks to all for the help! Foretravel shipped two new brake switches to me & I got them installed this afternoon. Hopefully, this will provide a permanent fix. Brett, I will be able to test drive it tomorrow & will be sure & check the brake temperatures.

Jim Monk
1997 U270
East Texas
Jim Monk
1997 U270
East Texas