Skip to main content
Topic: Windshields (Read 888 times) previous topic - next topic

Windshields

On the Yahoo forum I described replacing the WS's in my 280 some time ago.  I used a shop in My town and all went well.
After last trip I found that The WS on left had shifted and the glass edge was visible at the center strip gasket.
Went back in shop today and in addition to center found Left WS had come out of gasket at top edge drivers side and further moved out of center strip.
Glass company removed zip strips, used a tool to loosen gasket and vacuum suction cups were placed on glass.  They then with a lot of shoving pounding and grunting they physically moved left WS towards center.  It is now correctly in place. I thought at any moment that I would hear the glass crack, but it didn't.
Owner tells me that it is not unusual to have these big WS's shift and that body of coach sometimes can shift so much in a twist that people have reported seeing glass move.
Hopefully I've see the last of a glass shop.

Re: Windshields

Reply #1
Owner tells me that it is not unusual to have these big WS's shift and that body of coach sometimes can shift so much in a twist that people have reported seeing glass move.
Hopefully I've see the last of a glass shop.
Gary,
You are very fortunate.  I read where other have had their windshields break when doing a glass re-alignment, and the glass company not covering new windshield.  Read about the big WS's shifts and body problems all the time over at RV.net and on IRV2.  Some brands are worse than others with improper sized window cutouts along with other things.  I think it has a bit to do with improper leveling also.
1994 U225
build #4514

Reply #2
The owner of the glass shop and I had a detailed discussion about liability should the glass be broken during installation.  He agreed that he was liable during installation and in case of breakage due to improper installation.  This is probably unusual to do this but after many years in the insurance business I have found that the more you emphasize liability and safety when dealing with businesses the more likely you are to avoid discussions later.  Yeah, I know, I am tagged as a SWEET OL BOY when I do things like this. :P

Reply #3
I had a gap on the drivers windshileld upper outside corner.  Went to FOT who said that the cap was delaminated and caused the shift .  They pulled both windows and reglued the fiberglass to the frame and put the windshields back in.
They said that any brakeage was my cost.  However, when they had both of them out, they broke both of them, so I got two new ones...  on them.
Now, the new driver windshield is not aligned properly, and I am waiting for it to pop out again.  We'll see!
Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320